There are so many wonderful things to do around the holiday time as a family. If you have wanted to connect with your kids in a deep and meaningful way this is a great time to do just that. If there is a child you are struggling with right now, there is no better way to get to their heart then by spending quality time with them. Here are some ways to do that!
1.Bake together-there is just something about being in the kitchen together that helps you have great conversation, let them choose a fun Christmas recipe out of a family cookbook or a website (pinterest) Sugar cookies are our favorite!
2.Wrap presents and shop together- (maybe each time you go out, take a different child with you ) this gives you a special date night just to be together
3.Decorating the tree-we play Christmas music and talk and laugh about all the wonderful family ornaments we have collected over the years. We never get tired of seeing them again, GREAT CONVERSATION!
4. Visit a live nativity scene -such a wonderful way to bring the true meaning of Christmas to them
5. Do an Advent Study together-a few of my favorite are: Ann Voskamp's advent ornaments and study, Good Morning Girls have a new one this year that I'm excited to do and TruthintheTinsel is great for the young children in your home!
6.Watch Christmas movies together (Oh I LOVE It’s a Wonderful Life)-get snug in blankets and have hot chocolate and popcorn, SO fun!
7. Use your read aloud time to read about Christmas,-don’t forget the story of Jesus's birth straight from the Bible
8.Serve others-pick out a family in need or neighbor to serve. Leave hot brownies for the garbage man or mailman. Remind them how much you appreciate them (we are so grateful for them, imagine if you didn't have them) Let them know in a card you are praying for them (wonderful way to be a testimony)
9. Have the kids get in their PJ’s and you too for that matter and go look at lights together (we LOVE this tradition)
10. Making ornaments or homemade presents together-my kids LOVE this, schedule a craft day and make special gifts for the ones you love together.
You don’t have to spend a lot of money to make wonderful Christmas memories together. My kids always say they remember the memories more than the presents! Enjoy this time connecting with your kids and celebrating the birth of our Wonderful Lord Jesus!
Angela Richter, Mom With Heart
Share this post: