What? You don't have a date night? Make one! Really, very few things are more important to a marriage than dating. It helps to keep your marriage strong, intimate, fun and it tells your spouse, "you are important!" I know some couples who have a real date night once a week. I think that is awesome and something that I myself would like to strive for. I just don't know how feasible it is for my family right now with three teens and a toddler. We do have date night at least once a week but it usually consists of staying home and just making the night "about us."
Date Night - Out Of the House
If you have children you owe it to yourself and them to get away once in a while. Once a month is a healthy scenario for our family. Mom and dad taking time away to romance each other is vital to the well being of said children. It gives both parties a chance to miss each other and for the children they begin grow as individuals while the parents grow as a couple.
- Set a day and time for your date
- Arrange to have a caregiver for the children
- Make reservations
- Tell each other how much you are looking forward to it
The Day Of:
- Listen to love songs to prepare your emotions
- Recall your favorite memories together
- Wear something he hasn't seen in a while
- Go out of your way to fix yourself up for him, just like you used to
- Be ready on time
On the Date:
- Talk about things you wouldn't normally talk about at home such as: aspirations, goals, dream vacations, what you have learned spiritually, how much you miss each other, etc.
- Let him open the door for you, ask him to order for you, flirt with him
- Don't bring up any of his shortcomings or past mistakes. Date night is about renewal.
Date Night - In the House
If you can't get away for the evening then you can have date night at home. What we do is feed the kids, get them bathed, tuck them in, and allow them to watch a video. Then mom and dad have dinner by candlelight. We love to make Chicken Florentine and Farfalle. Throw in some focaccia and toss a salad and you are good to go!
After dinner it is time to snuggle on the sofa while watching a movie and chatting away. And keep in mind, it is always nice to sneak him breakfast in bed the morning after!
Share this post: