10 Awesome Weekly Traditions For Your Family
I always wanted to be one of those families who had these awesome on-going traditions running. My sister is one of these. It's constantly a party over there for something. Always something meaningful, something to celebrate.
I felt like I was too late to the game to start, so for a long time I just felt guilty. And then one day, after a very significant event in our family, I realized I didn't care if I was late. We needed traditions, and we were going to start traditions!
I can't even put into words how much these traditions have meant to our family. Here are some wonderful weekly traditions for your family:
- Sunday Snack Dinner - We love this concept. Favorite of the kids and the parents! We do easy finger foods, paper plates, fun beverages, and my husband reads a Bible story at the end.
- Special Dinner - Thursday is usually our "special dinner." My family can't always eat dinner together because of my husband's work schedule, but one regular night is better than none! We do a special meal we all love, fancier table setting, and always dessert.
- "FryDay" & Date Night - The kids eat chicken nuggets and fries, and then when they go to bed, we get takeout! It is such a special time for my husband and I. We wouldn't trade it.
- Friday Cleaning Day. Okay this isn't the kids favorite, but it's important! We homeschool, but Friday mornings we clean. I think a few hours of house-cleaning time that is regular can be such a gift to the whole family.
- Friday Adventures - And then after we clean, we can go on an adventure! My kids are fairly young, so this usually means a trip to a local park or something. But we love it.
- Saturday Morning Pancakes - With all the fixings. Every Saturday.
- Tuesday Outdoor Adventures - My mom hosts the older cousins at her house for an afternoon of digging in mud and romping around outside. A regular time to adventure outside just brings kids to life.
- Monday Morning Time - We begin our homeschool week with muffins, tea, Bible reading and hymn singing. And that sounds way more idyllic than it actually is. There are all the tears and tantrums and grumpy moods. But the time to sit together and enjoy beauty and goodness is wonderful. You can do this in the summer if you don't homeschool!
- Church - the best tradition! It's wonderful when church is a "given," not a lets-see-if-we-feel-like-going kind of decision, but a reliable fixture in the week.
- Game night - this is one that friends of ours celebrate. Games are always so much fun when you actually get started. Weekly game night tradition is one of the best kinds.
Do you have any family traditions during the week? We'd love to hear!
Share this post: