Summer break is officially here! And with all the excitement of “no more pencils, no more books” … we’ve dusted off the ice cream maker and of course, our ice pop molds.
That’s because making homemade frozen treats is one of my family’s favorite summertime traditions. Besides, making your own frozen treats isn’t just FUN – it’s economical and healthier too!
The good news is, you really don’t have to invest in a fancy ice cream maker or even ice pop molds to enjoy a refreshing frozen treat. One of our favorite frozen treats is this incredibly easy recipe – Frozen Banana Bites from my FREE “Healthy Ice Pops & Frozen Treats” eBook.
Made with fresh banana slices, a dab of nut butter and homemade chocolate hard shell, these little bite-sized gems take only minutes to make and seconds to eat. (Warning: It’s impossible to eat just one!)
How to Make Frozen Banana Bites
Peel and cut 3 to 4 large bananas into thick slices. Add a dab of your favorite nut butter (or sunflower seed butter) to the center to create a banana nut butter sandwich. Then, place them onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Once you’ve finished assembling your banana sandwiches, place the baking sheet in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours, until the banana sandwiches are frozen solid.
Make homemade chocolate hard shell, following the recipe below from my FREE “Healthy Ice Pops & Frozen Treats” eBook. Allow it to cool on the counter while your banana sandwiches are freezing.
Once your banana sandwiches are frozen, place a toothpick into the center and use it to dip them into the homemade chocolate hard shell. Hold the frozen banana bite over the dish to allow the excess chocolate to run off. Then transfer back to the parchment lined sheet to finish hardening.
Enjoy! You can gobble up your frozen banana bites right away, or save them for later. If you opt to save them for later, place the baking sheet full of chocolate-dipped banana bites back into the freezer. Once they’re frozen solid, you can transfer them to a freezer safe container.
Important safety note: Be sure to remove the toothpicks, if serving to small children.
Homemade Chocolate Hard Shell
Recipe from my FREE “Healthy Ice Pops & Frozen Treats” eBook.
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet, fair-trade chocolate chips
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the coconut oil and chocolate chips, while stirring constantly.
2. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
3. Transfer the chocolate mixture to a small glass dish. If using the chocolate hard shell for dipping fruit, be sure that the dish is deep enough to allow you to completely cover the fruit.
4. Allow the chocolate to cool to room temperature before using, then dip away and enjoy!
Looking for more delicious ways to use this easy and scrumptious Chocolate Hard Shell Topping?
• Drizzle it on top of homemade vanilla ice cream and top with nuts & sprinkles for a yummy ice cream sundae.
• Dip or drizzle your favorite homemade fruit & nut bars with this luscious topping for a delightful chocolatey treat.
• Use it as an easy chocolate fondue – serve with cubed angel food cake, marshmallows, pretzels and fruit slices!
Have a happy & delicious summer! With blessings and gratitude, Kelly at The Nourishing Home