What mom doesn’t love summer? The kids are home, the sun is out, pool toys are strewn all over the yard and you’re never going to get that purple icee stain out of your tank top, sister—but who cares? Summer time is freedom time, woo hoo!
Except for that it’s not, really. I mean, we can get so relaxed about everything this time of year—our schedules, our footwear, our ridiculous consumption of all things ice cream—that some still-important stuff can get swept out the door with the beach sand.
Bible lessons, for instance.
My kids attend a Christian school and after-school AWANA activities, so most of the year we’re working together on memorizing scripture, studying Bible stories, and exploring the things of God. It’s part of our daily routine. Come summer, God doesn’t go away—we still worship Him, we still attend Sunday school, we still give thanks and pray every day—but the structured lessons are few and far between.
Maybe that’s okay. But if you’re the kind of mom who thrives on structure, or at least wants to plug a little intentional Bible time into your summer bucket list, then try this. I call it the Summer Scripture Challenge for Kids.
Each week for ten weeks, teach your children to memorize a Bible verse. Just one a week! Invite friends or neighbor kids to participate, too. If you’re really ambitious, encourage the kids to create a skit or craft around the meaning or context of the verse. Have older kids teach the younger. Offer prizes or incentives each week. Make it fun! Then at the end of the summer, throw a party to celebrate what you’ve learned.
Here are ten of my favorite must-know verses for kids. Need a daily reminder? Click here for a free printable to post on your fridge!
1. Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5–6)
2. Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. (Psalm 37:4)
3. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9)
4. Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke 6:31)
5. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7)
6. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22–23)
7. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another. (John 13:35)
8. God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. (Psalm 46:1)
9. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. (Ephesians 4:32)
10. Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5:16–18)
Don’t forget! Click here to download a free printable of these ten passages for your Summer Scripture Challenge for Kids—including a certificate of completion to make the kiddos smile. Enjoy!