Wonder and Worry

Trust in What You Can Only See in Part ~www.thebettermom.com (NOT a bad link)

I participated in a beautiful outdoor worship service last night; it was a wonderful break in an otherwise stressful week. At one point in the evening, I leaned back and looked up at the sky, everything clear and the stars out. My thoughts floated to my family and the conversations we had throughout the day. We are moving this month (hence the stressful week), and there is an added pressure to the home I know they can feel. I am a part of it, as my emotions are all over the place and they are absorbing that from me. It’s the going through belongings, the saying goodbye, the “lasts” of practically everything. . . .

I wonder (or is that a Christian’s spin on worry?) how they are going to adjust to the coming changes? How I will adjust to the coming changes? Are we ready? Who is the most ready? Who said what today? What does that mean? On and on the thoughts spin inside my head, as I join in on the chorus of a familiar worship song playing,

Bless the Lord,
O my soul O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I’ll worship Your holy name

I know, Lord, you are reminding me to focus more on you and less on me. The war wages, my faith versus my fears, an utterly familiar battle; you’d think at a worship service, faith has the home field advantage.

Then an older mother in the crowd comes over to sit beside me. As she prompts me with a soothing voice and a simple question (What’s on your mind, dear?), I share my concerns about the move and the coming changes. She patiently listens, nodding her head in the I’ve-been-there-you’ll-be-fine-way older women do. I go on and on in the I-finally-have-an-audience-that-doesn’t-interrupt-me-way younger mothers do.

She waits for me to pause and then says, “Look up at the moon. Do you see it?” Yes, I did see it. It was about a quarter full that night. “See how you can only see part of it, but your mind tells you there is more there?”

I look in the sky, and whisper to her, yes. “I think that’s a word picture for what the Lord wants to tell you tonight. You can only see a part of this storyline, and so you worry. But your mind’s eye is telling you there is more, more coming, and it’s going to be good.”

I am still. The deep breath I came for tonight comes. I listen to the band . . .

Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes.

“Do you believe in what He has next for you?” she puts the question out there, not even expecting an answer. My eyes are filling, so I just nod.

“Do you believe what He writes for you is good? That his stories for your children are good?” I nod more vigorously now.

“Then trust what you can only see in part, believing in the One who has the full story. Allow that peace to permeate your home and your children, and your next steps. The coming story is good, there is more, and inside, you know that. Now, live like it.”

I hug her, grateful for the word picture I will be reminded of every night during this season. Faith did win tonight, and I want Him to know. I find my voice and join with the others . . .

For all Your goodness
I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find
(Matt Redman, 10,000 Reasons)

Beth, bethguckenberger.com

*Photo c/o Carin via stock.xchnge

Comments

What an amazing experience to have been able to worship outside. Here, on the Isle of Lewis, shortly after the Gospel came to our island, there were 5000 meeting on the moor for worship and to celebrate the Lord’s Supper.
    What an amazing sight and sound that must have been!

Thank you for your story. It is just what I needed to hear. The movers came Monday and packed up the house. My girls and I are staying with my parents until my husband can find us a new place. The stress is heavy in the air. This was a message that desperately needed to be reminded of right now. Thank you, again.

3. Katy Stephens says

Thank you so much for writing this…..it spoke directly to my heart & spirit this morning. I felt the same way before our cross country move last summer, and feel a little of the same way now as we await word on where my husband’s next duty station will be. So many unknowns can cause great worry, but should be having great wonder! Big hugs to you as you prepare for your move……And big prayers to you, too!

4. Sheila Cristófano Johnson says

Praise The Lord for your life and for you sharing with us.
    You have no idea of how much God used your life to bless and teach me.
    Thank you so much!

Praise The Lord again (and always) for our salvation and being able to look at half of the moon, knowing that the other half is in Gods hands, for that reason, we should not fear.

Hugs,

5. Linda Ortiz says

Thank you for sharing your story! My family and I were in a similar situation. We felt God’s calling to move to NE Ohio and help our Pastor plant a church in the area. We moved out of our home and stayed with relatives, which should have been only for 3 months! It is a year later, and we are still living with relatives. Where everything worked out great in the beginning, now all the doors have been closed! I have three boys and my husband & I. I have been extremely stressed and worry on what the next move is going to be. But, since reading your account. I realized, it is only half the picture of what God is doing. I have bee praying for revelation and His guidance for my family and myself. I only want to do what God’s will is in my life. It is sure hard to wait and see what that is! All I know, is that I have to Trust in God!!!
    strgth4yu@hotmail.com

6. kelly says

Thank you for this….just what the Lord knew I needed to hear today. As I struggle through a tough season of life for our little family, it is so good to be reminded to trust. God is so much bigger than the little world I am living in today with my young children. Hallelujah! Praising His glorious name! :)

7. Jennifer Wilkinson says

WOW! Minutes before reading this, I recieved and read an email from my son’s teacher. Only a week and a half into a new school year and a new school, she feels he may be at risk in falling behind and wants to set up a tutor for him. His schooling has always been a source of tension for us. He is so bright, but alas he is all boy and not interested in school. I so needed to hear this and will save it in my email to look back on when my heart forgets, when the worry consumes. Thank you for sharing and thanks to the wise woman who helped you. She unknowingly as help me as well. :)

8. nancys1128 says

Add this comment to the many I’m sure you’ve gotten letting you know of tear-filled
    eyes while reading. Such perfect timing in many lives today, my own included.
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful reminder of who we are and who God is both to
    and for us. Be Blessed!

9. Jen says

This spoke so much life to me today. I just left my ministry of 7 years because I felt God calling me to something new. It was a step of faith since he has not yet revealed what the next part is, but your challenge to “live like it” gives me encouragement and hope. Thanks for sharing!!!