The Bravery of Motherhood

Mother and child - happy time

Nobody told me how brave I would have to be.

There were the two pink lines, and then the loss of a little life, and a grieving process for a baby we never knew. And then there was the waiting, and two more pink lines, and then nine months of holding my breath for fear of loss again. There was the fear of giving birth, and then the actual giving birth which was more terrible and wonderful than I could have imagined.

And then I thought I’d be able to relax. But the old fears were replaced by new ones. What about SIDS? Was she growing normally? Was that fever too high? Why wasn’t she crawling yet? With each new milestone reached and each old fear assuaged, a new dread filled its place.

I’m beginning to think the worry never ends. I thought my mom was overreacting when she cried as I boarded a plane bound for nine months in Africa when I was just seventeen years old. Now? My heart races at the thought of my own girl doing the same someday. I can envision the fear of letting her drive a car, go to college, get married. I wish I could hold onto her, keep her close, protect her from everything forever.

But the fact remains that I can’t.

When we think of bravery, we often consider heroes like military men and women, missionaries to far-off places, or law enforcement officers, but we seldom think of moms. Do we stop to consider the temerity required every day to get up and raise children in a world chock-full of frightening possibilities?

When I was growing up, I heard my peers say things like, “I don’t just want to be a mom someday. I want to do something exciting, something that really matters.” I might have even said something like that myself. But now I know the truth.

There is nothing more thrilling or terrifying than motherhood. And there are few vocations more important than raising up children for God’s kingdom.

Motherhood is not for the faint of heart.

Christian mothers must be brave. The rest of the world may choose to hang on tightly to their children, idolizing them and falling apart when anything goes wrong with them. But Christian mothers must love God more than their children. They must believe that He can be trusted with the little ones He made. They must have the courage to trust God through long nights of infant sickness, days of potty training and terrible twos, moments of childhood heartache, seasons of teenage rebellion, and the inevitable day when their little ones leave the nest. Christian mothers must have the courage to face these days knowing that whether the outcome is desired or not, God’s gracious and loving character remains the same.

The Christian mother says to her child, “I love you, but I love God more, and I trust Him with your life and my own.”

In the face of adversity, heartbreak, loss, and joy alike, the Christian mom bravely believes Isaiah 26:3, “You will keep in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you,” and she is not moved.

Aubrie Drayer

Comments

1. Mary Lee Spencer says

As a grandma and great grandma I find myself worrying again/more. There seemed to be a time when all our grandchildren were safe at home. Now they have ventured far and wide in the world and married and that dreaded 3 a.m. wake-up has me praying harder for them than 3 p.m. We wondered what was wrong with our grandma when she was anxious for all of us. I know worry is sin but I think the Lord understands moms when we are a bit concerned. “Be Still and know that I am God.” Ps. 46:10 is one of God’s promises I cling to constantly.

• Aubrie says

True! I’m so thankful for God’s compassion. He “remembers that we are dust” (Ps. 103:14). Love you, Grandma!

I so identified with your post today. I know I worry abouit my daughter all the time, and it takes bravery to release those worries to God. Thanks for the wonderful message of hope today.

3. Deena Burnham says

Yes, Yes, and Yes. Been there done that and got some gray hair now to show it. 4 in five years. One V-back, (I release my first for adoption and she is 5 year older than my V-back) I fought those doctors and nurse until the end. Then I had the next three with the mid-wife and finally one of those “two pink lines, followed by loss…”
    All that fear.
    Now my V-back is a school bus driver, praying for every little face on her bus today. She wants to be the “consistency in their lives.”
    My next two are going off to their Junior Year in college. The Lord chose that one would leave the 6th of July and the 2nd one leave tomorrow. One to the California coast and the other three hours away in Sacramento. They are each only three hours away, but their room is empty of all their day to day life.
    Last but not least, my boy, my only man-child. He start his senior year of high school yesterday and Fire ROP. How many times have I given that child back to the Lord?
    The 6 foot tall fella who hold my heart in his hands.
    BUT…my LORD holds me and my precious offspring in HIS hand.
    Praising God, and Praying for all you young mothers with “miles to go before you sleep.” My motherhood journey seems that after 22 years it has just begun.
    ~Shalom~

4. M says

And a Christian mom reminds her children that God will always love them more than she does… and that no matter what happens to her or their dad, God will always be with them.]

5. Barb Spencer says

Loved this. No matter how old our children are, we are bound to them–we want God’s best, no matter what. But we do have to entrust them to the God Who first entrusted them to us. <3 you!

6. Donna Schultz says

Oh, these words spoke right to my heart today. My 22 year old “baby boy” is moving across the country in two weeks. We dedicated him to the Lord when he was just a babe and I rededicate him now and must trust God with his life. Your will be done, Lord. Thank you for this!

7. Maritza says

With everything that goes on in the news lately especially with children how can we not worry! It is so hard for those heartbreaking news not to hit you hard. My kiddos are 5 and 3 years old. I worry to the point of anxiety and I do trust GOD. I wont deny that I sometimes I let fear take over me and I hold on the “what if that were to happen to me”… Thank you for this post. It gives me comfort that I am not the only one…