Six Things I’d Say About Homeschooling

Six Things I'd Say

I will never homeschool.

I should have known better than to ever make a big statement like that. It seems like whenever I do, it nearly always comes back at me. You’d think I would have learned my lesson.

It’s not that I was against homeschooling, mind you. It’s just that, well, how can I put this…?

I didn’t think I was the homeschooling “type”.  Whatever that means.

But wouldn’t you know it, the Lord kept putting it on my heart and in my path, until I finally gave in. Reluctantly. I guess I’ll try this thing out for a while.

I mean, how hard can it be to homeschool a five-year-old?

In some ways, harder than I thought.  But funner (is that considered a real word yet?) than I expected too.

From there we kept going. One year at a time. One child, then two. Then eight.

Alright, so we didn’t really jump to eight – it only felt that way at times.

Homeschooling the Boys

Now our five-year-old is a sophomore in college. Oh, except he’s not five anymore, he’s 19.  He’s thriving at school, works hard, and, above all, loves the Lord.  And, yes, he was homeschooled.

So for those of you who are like me and wondering – or doubting – if you’re the homeschooling type? Here’s what I’d say it takes:

Time.   But less than you might think. We “formally” school a few hours in the morning. On the good days. The rest of the time we enjoy working, learning and playing together. I’d say more happens in our “off” hours than our sit-down ones.

Relationship.   This is what “sold” me on homeschooling. The chance to love and disciple our children all day long. Not always easy, but the investment has been invaluable. I’m grateful for all the relationship-building hours we have together.

Discipline.   And, no, I’m not talking about the kids here. I’m talking about my own. Organizing our kids’ education has been a terrific challenge in my life. Making myself do things even when I didn’t feel like it has been good for me. (Yes, that was a confession).

Grace.   So I’ve learned some discipline. And I’ve learned grace. My older children even complain a little about it. They say I was way more uptight with them than I am with the younger ones. Truly? That’s a good sign. That means that grace is gaining ground around here. Like hearing that!

Prayer. Um…you wouldn’t be put off if I told you that homeschooling has had a powerful impact on my prayer life, would you? I’ve had to pray about curriculum, classes, squabbles, and schedules. Prayed for wisdom, mercy, patience (!), and spiritual insight. I’d become a downright Prayer Warrior by the time our eldest was filling out college applications.

Growth. I love watching our kids grow. I love seeing the people they’re becoming and the work God is doing in their lives. I love seeing them grow strong – not just on the outside, but on the inside too.  I also love being able to grow and learn right alongside them.

So it would seem that I might be the homeschooling type after all. Our kids are learning. Their mom is learning – and about way more than just homeschooling.

Like, never say never, for instance.

Because I’ll be homeschooling again this year.

Wondering about homeschooling? Doubting? Go ahead and ask your questions and I’ll do my best to answer!

Or have a similar story to mine? I’d love to hear it!

In His grace,

Signature small

Comments

1. Heather Fryfogle Strickland says

Sounds like me,Lisa. I said I never wanted children,well i have 3 boys. I said I am not good at teaching, I am home schooling. I love it! I love that I get to build a one on one relationship with them as they learn. Most importantly I get to fill them with the Word.

That’s so funny, Heather! I can relate to all of that. Most of my homeschooling efforts are now focused on our three little boys and we’re so enjoying our mornings together.

2. Cassandra Dorman says

Love this. I’ve been homeschooling for four years now and I was one of those people who never even considered it before God placed it on our hearts. I agree with all of your points… we are already seeing the results of the sacrifices and commitment we’ve made to homeschool our three. Thanks for this! Cassandra @ TheUnpluggedFamily.com

• Selina McCord says

Lisa-Thank you for being an inspiration! I am a stay at home mom of 4 kids and loving it!!!! Ages, 4yrs. 11mo.’s (Kindergarten at 5yrs.), 3yrs. 8mo.’s, 2yrs. 3mo.’s,
        and a 6mo. old. I’m so surprised God is
        having me consider homeschooling! I grew up in a poor school district and struggled with little help and now we live in one of the best in our state (Dublin, OH). Would I be crazy for not taking advantage of it? My heart is telling me “Godly character” for my children over “education status”. Not to mention this world is God-less and dispicable at times. I’ve been considering this lately because of a prompting to have my oldest tested for dyslexia which showed her to be struggling. I’m not even sure if the results are legit but it has gotten me to think of what may be ahead in the school systems with this complication. My husband knows I am one to take on a lot and looked concerned for my well-being when I brought up homeschooling or just surprised I wanted to take more on. He wants me to pray and research for a few months and then re-convene. Also,
        my husband started his own IT Consulting business a few years ago; which I avidly enjoy
        encouraging and helping him with planning(given my Human Resources Masters degree)and some
        communication of clients (just a few hours a
        month). He was excited that I eventually would have time to help him more and questions my ability to have any other time than school in the future now.
        Although, maybe the lifestyle of his own business and balancing a homeschooling
        schedule would be perfect for flexibility purposes? Something inside me lights
        up again and feels important when thinking of taking the duty on of homeschooling!

• Selina McCord says

Any suggestions of a network to connect with to meet other Mom’s or resources that may go along with homeschooling?

3. Kim says

Thank you so much Lisa for allowing the Lord to direct your words with this post. As we approach our 11th year of homeschooling, I am once again overwhelmed at the start of each year at the enormous responsibility I carry in being my children’s primary educator.

What a blessing today to me (and my family!) to be reminded that Our Heavenly Father has called us to this, and the many amazing blessings we ALL receive on this journey!

It can be a little overwhelming at times! I can have moments where I can get somewhat “panicky” and then remind myself that if God’s called me to it, He’ll provide the way. And we’ve ALL grown so much through the process. Blessings on your journey, too!

4. Erin H. says

I was one of the people who, from the moment my first child was born, wanted to homeschool! However, from day 1 I struggled with self doubt. By the time I had two school age and two preschoolers I was convinced I was doing them more harm than good and sent them to public school for a semester. It didn’t take more than that to realize that I had been giving in to the enemy’s arrows of doubt and that I had not sought God NEARLY enough. So after one semester we came back home and have been loving it ever since, even on the difficult days. I will start my youngest two (twins) this year and teach all four for the first time. Definitely seeking God now!

Yes, definitely seeking God, Erin. I’d also keep it super-simple if I was in your place (twins!). We had seasons where we only taught two subjects: math and reading. And they’re still turning out just fine (whew!).

5. Luz says

Thank you so much for sharing. Next week we begin homeschool for the first time with our five year old sone and three younger siblings along for the ride. I’m looking forward to this adventure.

6. MealsonWheels Erath says

Gotta say, feels like you’re in my head. We have not jumped into homeschooling yet, but every year I talk to friends who do, look over curriculums, and think – maybe this year. The reason I haven’t yet? We already have 4 kiddos – ranging from grade 5 to grade 2. Self-doubt is a HUGE obstacle. Thanks for your post.

Self-doubt can be a biggie! One of my favorite homeschooling verses is 2 Cor. 12:9 “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” And that’s a good thing in our situation. :)

7. Kate@www.stillroomtogrow.com says

I have said those same words and will be homeschooling my 2 boys age 7 and 9 this year! I am really excited and feel this will be a wonderful change for out family. My biggest concern is getting everything done in a day (housework on top of schooling) and offering my children Grace on a daily basis, when I am overwhelmed and they are tired. I think my prayer life will take off too!! Thanks for the post.

How exciting! Those are the same ages of our youngest boys this year. I LOVE those ages! They pitch in with the housework too which is a big help. (They do the breakfast dishes while I take my shower.) On the “overwhelmed” days, I often just read aloud to them. Our (now) college son said those were some of his favorite days!

8. Amanda says

I am very seriously considering homeschooling. But my biggest worry and guilt about deciding to homeschool is the feeling that I may be robbing my son of lots of valuable social experiences and relationships. He is 3.5 and he is very advanced so I have already been unofficially homeschooling him for a year now. But he just seems to be so ready and willing to spend a lot more time with other kids! I know there are homeschooling networks (we are in KC) to fill in with social activities, but how do I know that it will be enough and that I won’t be robbing him of valuable childhood experiences? I have over a year to decide but I’m really struggling with this.

I’d consider social experiences as one of our strongest areas. Maybe that’s because we put that as a priority from the beginning? Or maybe it’s merely because I seem to be the lone introvert in a high extrovert family? :) But I’d honestly say that I think homeschooling has increased their social opportunities and broadened their experiences – rather than the other way around.

In addition to the usual things – museums, field trips, sports, various contests – we’ve also had some unusual ones. For instance, our children have been able to travel with their dad and meet prominent people and authors (he’s a literary agent). We’ve also purposed to put on social events, like period-setting dances, game nights, and music recitals.

If your son is very outgoing (like our oldest), my guess is that he would only bring more and more interesting opportunities into your lives as he gets older. Hope that helps?

9. Amy Mathews says

Thank you for this encouraging post. My sons are 4 1/2 and 2 and I have a third on the way. I also said “never” but I have recently been changing my mind and researching options (as I am also working part time as a voice teacher out of our home and pretty busy as it is). My biggest fear is that I will be too overwhelmed and fail them in consistency and patience. Fortunately, we also have a lot of partial homeschooling programs here in our area (Austin) that allow students to go to school 2 days a week and homeschool on the other days. I love anything that encourages us in that direction because I really feel like that is what God is calling me to do — although I encounter a lot of opposition from well-meaning friends and family who don’t understand or agree.

Yes, we experienced some opposition when we started homeschooling too. That can make it hard as this is when you most need as much support as you can get! But I’d have to say that the farther we got into it, the more those folks came around and have become some of our biggest supporters now.

I totally get the fear part too – that’s real. I’d say that I “failed” rather often (especially at the start), but I grew. And they grew. And the best part? I’ve asked my graduates now and they don’t even remember that part! (Praise The Lord – He is so gracious with us, isn’t He?)

Blessings on you, Amy, as you seek Him for what He’d have for you and your family!

10. Leslie Blair says

Lisa – Thanks for the post. I begin homeschooling this month for the first time. My daughter is going into 5th grade and my older three have gone through the traditional public school system. I am nervous but jumping in with both feet in faith. I know this is what God wants for our family right now and that’s what keeps me from freaking out completely! I don’t really know what I am getting into but I DO know that God is good and He never fails (even if maybe sometimes I do). Thanks again for the support.

Oh yes, God is good and never fails. A good thing to remind yourself as you’re homeschooling! Often. :)

Blessings on you, Leslie, as you jump into this adventure. I hope you’ll give yourself – and them – plenty of grace to grow together. I try to focus on relationship and just plain learning to work together, before I worry too much about the academics. In my experience, that part can always come later!

11. Karen says

I loved reading this post so much. I have two grown children and was blessed with a surprise at 42. I never had the desire to homeschool and was blessed with means to send my girls to great Christian schools for part of their education. I believe that God put homeschooling on my heart when my little one was about 2. We will be starting K later this month, and I have to admit I am a little overwhelmed with the thought of educating my precious girl. I don’t want to have doubts, but I do. I have been praying quite a lot lately, and know it will be fine in the end. After all, it’s only one child! I am so blessed by other moms who homeschool and blog about it. It gives me hope!

What a lovely surprise! The best kind. :) I think I found it the most overwhelming when I looked at all of it at the same time. But it was much better when I only considered what I needed to do for that week. Or that day. Little bits of growth at a time. Then it felt more managable.

And I’m confident that what The Lord put on your heart, He will carry you through.

12. Linda says

I’m not homeschooling, but we are doing something very different this year. My kids are enrolled in virtual public school thru Connections Academy. It took A LOT of prayer and thought. Months of it. I think it’s going to be good. I never thought(see that word ‘never’) I would give up on public school. After last year, I had to give something else a try. It’s not that I’m against public school altogether. There are just some things that I couldn’t live with.

So I’m not the only one who said “never”? :) That makes me feel better. I’ve not tried any of those other options, but I’m glad that you’re able to bring your children home with you. I hope it’s a good experience for you all!

13. jessica says

Thanks you!! I need to hear this …………gave me some courage :) I am homeschooling this year for the first time and those same words came out of my mouth I would never homeschool. :/

Have courage! And give yourself room to figure out what works for you and what works for your kids. If it was me? I’d give myself plenty of grace to “settle” in and not worry too much about what others are doing.

14. Kristal Strong says

Thank you for this post! This sounds exactly like me and how I’m feeling as we begin our homeschooling journey this fall. Most days, I’m very excited about our journey ahead, knowing this is where God has lead us and that His grace is sufficient! But, I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that I have moments of sheer terror, wondering if I’ll be able to do this. So, encouraging words like these breath life back into me and my confidence to stand firm in what He has called our family to. Thank you!

Cheering you on, Kristal! You can totally do this – just keep relying on God and know that He has good things in store for you all (even on the days where it isn’t readily apparent what exactly that is). :)

15. Catherine says

Wodering if you have some insight on what curriculum to use or what you prefer? There are just so many options out there…I am a mommy of 3 (so far) they are 4,2 and 6mo. We did some preschool work last year and the two olders are fairly advanced especially the 2 yr old. Just trying to get other christian homeschool moms preferences. Thank you.

Well, I confess that I keep it fairly simple – especially at the young ages. I mostly concentrate on creating a loving atmosphere, obedient hearts, and a love for learning. I know some people don’t use any curriculum at all, or at least not until they are older, but I do have a few things that I like if the child is ready and eager. I like the Get Ready for the Code books (Nancy Hall) for early phonics and handwriting. I’ve also used the Pathway readers for all 8 of my children (love those stories!), and mostly use fun manipulatives for math (something like the Saxon math set – or M & M’s are my very favorite counters :).

I think the key is not to get too carried away with all the curriculums. That can make it overwhelming, or even depressing (all the things you are NOT doing – blah!). I like to pick what serves me best and then stop looking. It seems to have worked for us? Blessings on your sweet journey!

16. Laura Adams says

Thanks Lisa for another great post! I don’t have any children yet, but my husband and I discuss these things often, and homeschooling, unfortunately, hasn’t struck a good chord with me personally. I love hearing other parents talk about how much they love it and seeing the success of their kids, but I wonder if sometimes it’s just not for everyone. I was home-schooled for a couple years when I asked my Mom to take me out of public school when I hit 5th grade (I hated hearing the 5th grade teachers yelling down the halls, so I didn’t want to be in 5th grade essentially, haha!). Unfortunately I fell far behind in studies (beforehand I had been a top-performing student) and when my parents put me into a private school for a semester of 8th grade, and then into public school again the second semester, I struggled a great deal, educationally and socially, and always felt stunted because of it (not to say I’m unhappy with where my life is, God has certainly been good). As a hope-to-be-mom someday, I get nervous looking at today’s school systems (some just aren’t good and content is downright frightening sometimes), but homeschooling has never seemed like an option to me because of my experience. How does one reconcile that or make that decision when the time comes? Thanks!

Of course, your experience is going to greatly influence how you feel about something – whatever it is. That’s only natural. But you can also use your experience to help create an even better experience for your own children? For instance, these are things that I DO appreciate about homeschooling (protection, godly discipleship, loving relationships, etc.) and these things I would NOT want (lack of education, social opportunities, etc) – do you see what I mean? I know that my husband and I had long conversations about these things: what was important to us and what we were willing to do to create the best experience possible for our children. We also try to regularly evaluate what we’re doing and what our children need – which varies from year to year!

• Laura Adams says

That is definitely a valid point. I hadn’t thought about it that way. I just always viewed it as a big fat failure and didn’t consider that I could possibly do better. Thanks for your insight Lisa. I’m sure when the time comes for our own children to move into more thorough education, God will guide us to do what He knows is best for our family. I will keep an open heart and mind, especially after reading about your successes and that of others. :)

17. Jennifer McLarty says

This was a good post for me to read and I plan to share it with my husband. I’m a teacher … or was before I had kids. My oldest is starting preschool this September. But, while I used to say I REALLY don’t want to ever homeschool, lately I’ve been thinking that I would. However, my husband is very much NOT in favour of us homeschooling. How do I get my husband on board? :) And how do I not chicken out if and when we actually make the decision to homeschool? :)

Oh, those are good questions. When I want my husband to “change” on something, I mostly resort to prayer. I’m always amazed at what The Lord uses after that. Perhaps an article he might come across, or maybe meeting another homeschooling family? – you never know. I might also say a quiet word to him, but only if he’s interested/receptive.

As for the “chickening” part (know that one!), well, once you make your commitment, you might want to write it out to remind yourself of your reasons behind it on those harder days. You might also want to ask some close friends to be praying for you and support you? I can’t guarantee smooth sailing, but I would say it’s been very rewarding – for both them and me.

• Jennifer McLarty says

Thanks! We know a couple of homeschool families already (one of which is my sister and her husband who have 7 girls aged 15 to 1). I think they are part of what scares my husband off from it. Perhaps I should leave some good articles and blogs out for him to find and read. :) I think part of why I want to homeschool is because I really miss teaching, but don’t want the stress of prepping for a full class and working with kids (and parents) who are not my own. :) Prayer is definitely going to be a big part of decision making here!

18. Melanie@carmelmoments.com says

Thank you for your honesty. I also never thought I could home school but I’m starting this fall with my oldest. He’s 11. If all goes well, I may be doing it with all three next year. God knows what I can handle. Looking forward to starting this exciting new adventure.

19. Carol Hogue says

This was my story exactly! “I’ll never homeschool”, “How hard can kindergarten be?” 10 years later I wish I could do it all over again, but not be so uptight this time. Just enjoy them, and read, read, read!

20. Maria says

My husband & I have talked about homeschooling before we had kids now we have a 1 1/2 yr old and one due this December. He really wants me to homeschool & I do too, buy I get nervous that I might not teach them the right way and what happens when the math cirriculum gets above what I know I was nut a.good math student it was a struggle for me. Were you nervous about a specific subject? I know another reader was worried about social interactions. I’m very shy but my husband can have a non stop conversation with anyone I funny want to ruin his confidence. Did you have any of these worries?

Yes! I’m terrible at – and terrified of – science. I know that must sound very sad (maybe pathetic?) to all the science-types, but that’s definitely the weak-link for me. So I admitted my weakness openly and then farmed out our science classes. I mean, I did make sure there were good books around to read, but all their formal learning on that subject they got either online or through other classes. The nice thing these days is that there are so many wonderful options! (Teaching Textbooks for math, for instance).

As for the social part, I’d just make sure there were plenty of social settings to challenge and delight him/her. We’ve held parties at our house, just so we could meet new people. We also had our children take a local speech class so that they’d be comfortable in standing up before a group. The funny thing is that those kids who were the most reluctant, ended up enjoying the class the most (and are voluntarily doing it again this year!).

I don’t think you can be good at everything and I think that’s okay too. Stretch yourself, stretch them, and then enjoy the person that God made you!

• Eunice Haynes says

I got lucky, Lisa. I, too, am not a big fan of science. I was fortunate to have a sister who majored in bio-chem. Guess who was nice enough to teach my son? Glad there are at least 2 of us out there who haven’t jumped on the science train.

• Robin says

Maria, you can do it. start looking to your local area for homeschool support groups. They are everywhere and vital to helping you find help. There are facebook curriculum pages to help purchase used books. Look at HSLDA website and click on your state. It will tell you a lot of what you need. Best wishes and YOU CAN DO THIS!

21. kelly says

Thank you for these words! I homeschool our 4 children (2 so far and 2 littles) and we love it!! Yes, homeschooling has helped me to grow in my relationship with the Lord, especially my prayer life. I wouldn’t change our busy at home life for anything!

22. Stacey Biehl says

Thank you Lisa for this post! I am in that inbetweeny stage of wanting to homeschool but not sure I can do it. I have a 3 year old and I’m going to try my hand this year at preschool. I also have a 9 month old, and I’m not sure how to schedule our day so both of them get some educational time. Any suggestions?

And finally, do you have any recommendations on curriculum for my preschooler? Any formal curriculum I have to purchase or just create my own?

Thank you so much for any help you offer! God Bless!

You’re at the perfect place to start homeschooling! At those ages, I mostly like to establish routine: chores, meals, naps, etc. as having those things in place make for a much easier homeschooling routine. As for me? After morning chores, I then like to sit down and do a little “school” for only a short time. It’s usually just a story or maybe some counting games. The baby can take a morning nap, or maybe learn to play on a blanket nearby. By the time our children were at an age where we were diving into more substantial academics, they had the routine down. I also had their hearts which is the most important to us.

I find that those young ages learn bunches just by hanging out with you and talking as you go – measuring while cooking in the kitchen, discussing “botany” while digging in the garden, and counting the stars of the universe while looking up at the night sky. Always so much to learn wherever you are and what you’re doing!

23. Kathy Alexander says

Hi Lisa, I am new to Club 31 and this is my first comment! I home school my three children in English reading and writing, but nothing else. This is because we live in Denmark, and they attend full-time Danish public school, plus after-school activities. They are aged 8 (girl), 6 and 6 (twin boys). My goal is to ensure that they are literate and articulate in their mother tongue, and that they are roughly on par with their Canadian counterparts. The kids have an accepting attitude to their home school and are progressing. But our work has always been sporadic. My goal would be for each child to spend 15-20 minutes every week day on home school. Some weeks we only manage two sessions! If we still lived in Canada, my daughter would be starting grade 4. In home school, however, she is only half way through grade 3 English. Keeping up with Canadian students is a reasonable goal, right? I must say, I love educating my kids – for the exact reasons you have listed in your piece – but I am certain I must increase our consistency and my own organization and record keeping if we are to reach my goals. Any tips?? Thanks so much!

I love the flexibility of homeschooling, but you’re right, that doesn’t mean you don’t have goals either. So on the one hand, your children are young enough that I wouldn’t worry too much (I like to give them lots of room until their 10 or 11), but you might want to lay out your year so that you keep on the track that you’ve set out for them. Both my husband and a written, posted calendar have helped hold me accountable to my homeschooling schedule. Just make sure it’s realistic and do-able! (I love Denmark, by the way. I hope you enjoy living there!).

I don’t know what others have experienced? But we had no troubles – in fact, quite the opposite. Since homeschooling allowed our son to have many extra and unique experiences to add to his resume, he “stood out” to the colleges. I think at one time, colleges weren’t sure what “to do” with homeschoolers, but that seems to have changed and now schools even look out for them.

24. Alicia says

I enjoyed this post. We’ve homeschooled for 5 years now, but I still question whether I’m doing it right. I would like to think that like you, I can look back and see that I’ve won my children’s hearts, but honestly, I’m not sure. It feels like SO many days begin with good intentions, but just boil down to nothing more than unfinished plans. The squabbles, the nagging, the distractions, & the endless household chores that keep us just barely getting by with clean clothes to wear & food to eat. Does anyone else know what I’m talking about….to feel like your trying so hard & failing miserably at the same time? Is it just a season of life, lack of personal discipline….or what?

Well, you are certainly not alone in your feelings, Alicia. Surely, we’ve all been there, at one time or another. I think when it gets like that, it helps to step back and 1) take a break and/or 2) stop and evaluate your approach. My husband is very helpful with both areas. Sometimes I’m so in the “thick of it” that I can’t see as clearly as I’d like to. It can help to have another perspective from someone who loves you all.

It might be that you need to simplify and cut back on a few things, even if it’s for only a short time. At times we’ve pared down on the academics to only the bare basics, so we can focus on relationships and hearts for a while. Or, I’ve taken a few days off from school and we all madly cleaned the house to catch up on that area. One thing is for certain, I rarely (ever?) feel caught up in all areas.

One of my favorite verses to remind myself at such times: Be not weary in well doing…..(Gal. 6:9) So hang in there and God will bless your faithful efforts. :)
      Lisa

25. Debbie Genua says

I began homeschooling in 1993, taking 3 of my four children out of a Christian school. My fourth child was preschool. So we started out of the gate with a preschooler, a first grader, a 4th grader and a 6th grader. The relationship aspect you talk about is the greatest thing for all of us, when I now see my adult children still seek a relationship with their siblings I feel so blessed.Yes, there were many years that it was not easy but that is where good support from friends and family come in. We even had a move across the state and finding that support was difficult but we persevered. All my children attended higher education after homeschool and there was no problems with enrollment. As a matter of fact I think my children were more prepared for college life than some of their public school peers. All of you Moms out there considering homeschooling, it is something you will not regret doing! Blessings.

26. Denise Kamen Kanchev says

This is exactly how I feel! And we going into our second year of homeschooling :) Alas, it did take me the whole summer to listen to that still quiet voice of the Holy Spirit telling me to trust Him on this journey…I was actually hoping He’d say that public school is great & that I shouldn’t be such a worrywart, but no go! :)

27. Marjie says

As an oldie ( beginning year #29), I find this article very true.

–Many seem intimidated by the thought of home education. How did you handle teaching your child to brush teeth? say thank you? hold Mom’s hand when crossing the street? That is how you home educate. One step at a time, giving your child principles and basic skills by which they can function in the world as God has designed them to do.
    –Every educational choice has pros and cons. Determine what you can and cannot live without. That helped me choose when my oldest was in junior high and I was struggling with not feeling adequate for high school.
    –One of the very best things I have done as a parent is storytime. Every day, after lunch and before naps. It is a great teaching time…from talking to 14-month-old granddaughter about what the rabbit says, to child finding the capital letter that begins their name, to showing me where the word “frog” is in the story (Frog and Toad books by Arnold Lobel), to pausing and letting them read the word, or two, or twenty, that they know in the story, while I read the rest. One story minimum for each child, and in our family, that could take us awhile! Story time is worth every minute it takes. (I just wish I could have stayed awake better through them, as I often read myself to sleep!)
    We never “did” preschool, but my children’s ACT scores and success as college students and as adults shows that preschool wasn’t really necessary.

28. Christa Sterken says

Oh yes Lisa! I was high fiving you, and could relate to everything you listed here. So grateful God has other plans than our own…

29. Jessica B says

Ha! I said I would never homeschool, too. I never thought that we were the homeschooling “type” I am definitely more alternative than the other homeschooling families that I have seen. I put my daughter in prek and she loved it. I thought that was proof that I was doing the right thing. But then kindergarten happened. And she immediately began saying “But why cant I go back to my little kid school? I don’t like this school.” And because I had another little one at home I couldn’t spend time in the class like I wanted to. But I noticed that her teacher was kind of…snappy. Not mean…but way more snappish at all of the kids than I would have liked. Well, that was a less than perfect teacher. Ok. It sucks but it happens. In first grade she had problems with bullies. Her teacher did well to resolve that. But my girl was unhappy. But she wanted to stay at that school. She had friends. So it was on to second grade. Bah. She was miserable. Hated school. Got lice 3 times in 2 months. And her grades were slipping. She was afraid to turn in her work first because she didn’t want to be picked on for being smart. And she was afraid to turn in her work last because she didn’t want to be picked on for being dumb. I could see her work being really well done at the beginning and then rushed at the end. She was getting an F in math…with stuff she knew. She blew through her homework with no problems but the tests and school work were awful. So I pulled her. In February. We are on our first year of homeschooling. And it is a mess! I am just putting bits and pieces together as we go. But we are loving it. And she isn’t miserable. I didn’t mean to ramble on….

do you have homescool tools kits or resources you can list? I am starting too homeschool and my children are 2 and 3 and would love respurces from a fellow christian : )