10 Practical Ways to Stay Energized as a Mom

10 Ways to Stay Energized as a Mom

As moms, it’s easy to get worn down, worn out, and exhausted. We are constantly caring for other people and if we aren’t careful, we’ll just completely burn out. With this in mind, here are 10 ways to stay energized as a mom:

1. Remove Some of the Drains

I read Leading on Empty last year and was so challenged by the author’s encouragement to make a list of those things that drain you and those things that energize you. When I made my list, I realized that things were very lopsided in my life: I was doing a lot more things that drained me and very few things that energized me.

Can I encourage you to try this exercise sometime this week? It may just be as eye-opening to you as it was to me!

2. Make Real-Life Friendships a Priority

Even if you’re an introvert like me, friendships are a necessity. Make them a priority. Ask your friend over for lunch. Say “yes” to the park playdate. Call or text your friend to see how she’s doing if you haven’t heard from her in a while.

Now, I must be quick to say that, if you’re a social butterfly, you might be burning yourself out by having too much social interaction. You might need to cut back and set some boundaries on how many social engagements or ministry opportunities so that you have more margin in your day.

Find a healthy balance that works for you. But whatever that healthy balance is, I promise you that it does not consist of you hiding away in your home as a hermit!

3. Shut the Electronics Down Early

My husband encouraged me to make it my goal to turn my laptop and my phone off by 6 p.m. every evening. I don’t always accomplish this, but I’ve found that I always wake up more energized and refreshed when I do.

Plus, if my computer is shut off by 6 p.m., I’m able to enjoy a completely distraction-free dinner and family time, rather than having to worry about answering that urgent email or respond to a blog comment.

4. Take a Weekly Sabbath

Going hand in hand with the above suggestion, I have become a very firm believer in taking a weekly Sabbath. This is something that God modeled for us when He created the earth. And I think it’s with very good reason: He knew our bodies and minds needed a weekly respite from all the busyness and activity.

Our family has chosen to make Sundays our weekly Sabbath. We typically do very little that day other than go to church, spend time with friends and family, and sleep and read. It’s a day to recharge, refresh, and reconnect — and it’s been one of the best decisions we’ve ever for the sanity and health of our family.

5. Swap an Afternoon of Childcare With Another Mom

I’m a firm believer in the fact that all moms need some quiet. If you’re currently feeling frazzled and overwhelmed, step back and ask yourself how much quiet you’ve had over the past few weeks. I’m amazed at what just an hour or two of uninterrupted quiet — even just to go grocery shopping! — can do for me as a mom.

One great way to accomplish weekly or bi-weekly quiet is to swap an afternoon of childcare with a friend every other week. Neither of you have to pay for a sitter and both of you get a guaranteed block of time to work on a project, enjoy a leisurely stroll through a bookstore, or even get in a nap!

6. Have a Quiet Hour

Speaking of quiet, another great way to have regular quiet time in your home is by practicing Quiet Hour at your house. When my children were little, this was a must. The two youngest would have their naps at the same time and my older daughter would play in her room, listen to audiobooks from the library, or play with Day of the Week Tubs.

If you’d like to do something similar in your home but this is a brand-new concept, start small. Get your kids excited about the idea of playing quietly with some special “For Quiet Time Only” toys or crafts and then tell them that you’re going to set the timer (for 15 minutes, maybe?) and if they don’t come out of their room until the timer goes off that they’ll get a reward. Gradually increase the time until you feel like you’ve found a good time increment that works best for your family (ideally somewhere around an hour, depending upon the age of your children).

7. Get Up Early

I know, I know. I probably sound like a broken record to be bringing this up in my last post and now again in this post. But I can’t tell you how much of a difference it makes!

I dare you to try getting up 15 to 30 minutes before the rest of your family for 3-4 weeks and just see if it makes a difference. If you’re anything like me, you’ll end up having a lot more energy and productivity by getting a head start on your day.

8. Take Care of Yourself

It’s not selfish to take care of yourself; it’s necessary for your sanity and health — and it will likely benefit your family and marriage, too! You see, if you don’t eat well, exercise, and get enough rest, you’re not going to have very much energy. And that’s going to directly impact your mothering and marriage.

In addition, take a little time to shower and make yourself presentable everyday. I know that sweats are comfy, but I promise that you’ll feel better if you take just a little time to look good for your family.

9. Laugh Often

Scripture says, “A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones” (Proverbs 17:22). It’s amazing how smiling, laughing, and seeing the humorous side of life can just make life more enjoyable — and give you much more zest for life!

We laugh a lot at our house. We laugh at ourselves, we laugh at each other, and we sometimes laugh for seemingly no reason at all — or at least we forgot what it was that we were first laughing about. We believe life is meant to be savored — and sometimes being silly just makes it a whole lot more fun!

I’m always on the lookout for a funny story to share with Jesse from something the children say or do. If I find some funny photo or saying on Pinterest, I’ll email it to Jesse or save it to show him when he comes home. And we also love to watch comedy clips or funny movies as a family. Look for the humor in life — and you’ll probably start to find it just about everywhere!

10. Sing Loudly

This might seem a little crazy, but it’s just about near impossible to be despondent when you’re singing at the top of your lungs. In fact, I’ve found that even when I’m exhausted, if I turn on some upbeat music and start singing, I’m infused with a complete renewal of energy. Try it sometime and see if you prove me wrong! :)

What are you tips and suggestions for staying energized as a mom?

Crystal Paine

P.S. If you’re feeling really drained in your mothering or just in life in general right now, I would be honored to pray for you. Would you do me a favor and leave a comment on this post so that I and others can come alongside you and pray for you and encourage you in this journey of life? {Hugs!} to you and please don’t give up!

Comments

1. craftjunkie85 says

Love the tips. Thank you for sharing. I am expecting our second child in just a few months and I want SO badly to get out of bed early, and have those few moments to myself but I just can’t seem to do it. I feel so relaxed and don’t want to move until I hear my little guy. However, the more I read lately it seems that it is the best thing to do (rise early) and I know I will benefit greatly from it! Thank you for the encouraging tips!

• Heather says

My LO#2 is 4 months. Towards the end of my pregnancy I was the same way. I was used to being up early but just couldn’t do it any more. I made it a goal to get up just early enough to shower. It helped so much. I wasn’t putting pressure on myself to get up early and yet I was clean and ready for the day before LO#1 was up. I am still just striving to get up early enough to shower. I know that soon I will be able to get up even earlier, just not yet. Every season of life it different.

2. Brianna says

I feel like this was written for me. I needed this today!! I feel so drained and exhausted lately and just a bit “down”. I’m going to try some of these. Also – setting time aside to pray and read your bible daily is a HUGE help in the energy department :)

I so agree… reading my Bible/praying/journaling during that early morning quiet is my very favorite time of day. It also helps that that’s what I drink my morning coffee, too! ;)

I appreciate this and I hope to do most of these things…right now I am feeling pretty overwhelmed and a little depressed thinking about all the things that need done and that maybe I’m just not up to the task…thanks for reminding me all moms feel overwhelmed sometimes..please pray for some perspective for me. thanks to all the moms who posted also and prayers for you all!

4. Haleyjomama says

I’m a homeschooling, part-time working, single-mother of two boys 8 & 2 and drained is exactly how I’m feeling today. Thank you for this message!

{Hugs!} You have a LOT on your plate. Give yourself an extra measure of grace and I’ll pray for you today that God will surround you with a circle of friends who are committed to holding up your weary arms.

5. Melissa says

Yes! My friend shared your article with me/others on facebook. Loved what you have pointed out! I also feel really energized when I share how God is working through me or my kids,with my family/friends. He reveals himself in so many cool ways. It’s really cool when he takes what appears to be a challenge for us to help someone else.

6. Patricia says

My 5 yo daughter always notices when I a feeling drowsy in the afternoons and she always brings me a cup of water to drink. I nurse my baby and keeping up with my water intake is so very important to maintaining high energy levels. Otherwise I feel like a wilted flower!

7. Jennie says

All fabulous suggestions! Dealing with a chronic health issue, it is hard for the family when mama is “down”. Taking a few minutes every day to spend time in God’s word, exercise, and recharge have done wonders for me. And when the fallout from a health issue does hit, I’m mentally and physically in a much better place to deal with it!

8. Amy says

I had baby number 4 last July, and I just can’t pull myself together ever since, in every area of my life. prayers would be appreciated.

• Karen says

I feel the same way—I had my third in April and I feel like I am failing in every area. It’s making me crazy not to be on top of everything, or anything. Hang in there and enjoy your little ones—you’re not alone.

• Faith Lohr says

My #4 will be 2 at the end of March and I STILL don’t have everything together. Its seems I almost get “there” and then something happens (sickness, house projects etc) that cranks up the chaos again. :-) Praying for both of you!

• Faith Lohr says

Thank you for the kind words Crystal. :-) There’s a lot of wisdom in what you said. Thankfully we had a home inspection to refinance our house and we were forced to “get it together.” It was a LONG chaotic month and I felt drained and pulled in every which direction….BUT now my house is completely cleaned and organized in every room! :-) There is light at the end of the tunnel. Now I can focus on more important things with my family.

9. Jen says

I could use the prayer…I and my two little ones are recovering from the flu just like you….just discouraged that I didn’t get any of what I’d hoped done while my husband was off work for the holidays, and feeling very lonely and overwhelmed being stuck at home sick!! But this was helpful….for when I have the energy to get back to normal living!!

• Faith Lohr says

I know how that feels! We are just getting over the flu as well and have been limited in our travels since before Christmas. I agree, “normal living” sounds quite nice. Praying you all recover fully and completely….quickly. :-)

10. Coupon Cook says

I needed this encouragement today. I’ve been away from church for 9 weeks in a row. The first was my sons asthma attack, next 2 weeks I had surgery and recovery, then the stomach bug blew through, Now we’re on week 3 of the flu. This lovely morning at 6:30 am my littlest one, who is currently battling the flu had a 104.8 temp. I haven’t seen many people, and facebook has become my whining outlet. I’m sick of smelling bleach and lysol. Not to mention the extra breathing meds I have to give to my little one because of the chemicals in use. I can’t remember the last time I washed my hair.. I’m kind of a mess right now. The preacher said something months ago.. stop asking why me and ask what does God want me to learn from this. In this moment, all I can think is that he wants all of us to get the October 2013 flu shot. :)

• Faith Lohr says

Oh my! I can relate to so much of your post. I have been away from church since before Christmas. My husband has been working weekends and I am on crutches from injuring my ankle and can’t handle our four little ones by myself to go. We also just spent a week battling the flu and are still not completely over it. I was excited to shower and get out of the clothes I had worn for three days while I was sick. I looked “human” again lol Our Christmas plans were messed up with my in-laws because of my ankle. I did ask God what He wanted me to learn and I think he taught me that my kids (2yrs-7yrs) are more capable of helping me around the house then I give them credit for. Since I can’t physically do everything while on crutches I have been forced to rely on my children for help and not do everything myself. It has taught them responsibility, compassion, and me humility. I think in the long term this will be a wonderful learning experience that definitely makes me stronger, but in the meantime it’s definitely not an easy situation. :-) I prayed for you and your family! Hope everyone feels better soon!!

11. Katherine says

I recently had my third baby who ended up in the NICU after birth and again in the ER a few days after he got home from the NICU, moved at the same time we had the baby, my husband works full time and is in school so he is gone a lot, and I just started homeschooling. I’m exhausted. still healing physically (not as fast as I’d hoped), and feeling overwhelmed with all that needs to be done. I’m also about to take the baby for a minor surgery that will be hard and exhausting for me and the baby, Thanks for the prayers!

12. Carmen says

I could use some uplifting. I’m a single mom and the epitome of burning the candle at both ends. I work 3 jobs and go to school, all while raising my brilliant 4 year old. I am currently down with the flu, a throat virus, and bronchitis that i just can’t seem to recover from, probably due to lack of relaxation. Thank you for this posting, I will attempt to put as much into practice as possible.

13. Amanda Kelly says

This message came at the perfect time for me today. I am a new mom (step mom to 3 kiddos who lost their momma a few years ago) and also opening a christian school. My baby is 4 and so energetic! Thank you for blessing me with this article!

What a blessing from God to these children to be given you as a gift. I pray the Lord will give you strength, energy and a gentle peaceful spirit as you care and nurture them. May the Lord bless you in this important labor of love!

14. Faith Lohr says

Thank you for sharing this. I am a wife, a mom of four kids (2-7yrs old), small business owner, and blogger. I sprained my ankle just before Christmas and have been on crutches. It’s driving me crazy not to be able to do everything I want and need to for my family, house, business, blog, etc. We are still working through having a nasty flu bug AND about every room in our house is in a chaotic state as we finished a major remodel of our downstairs living room. It’s maddness…..and yes, I feel VERY overwhelmed at times. It was nice to read through the comments and see there are so many others who can relate and are struggling as well. I will say a pray for all of you. :-)

May the Lord bless you with healing and strength in Him and give you peace and direction as you serve your family and Him. Thank you for taking the time to pray for others – so Christlike! Blessings to you, Kelly

15. Sarah says

Love this blog ! I’m a wife, and a mother of 2 beautiful little girls .. but wow, latley I have found that I am just wiped come the evening time, and feel like I cant even spend the quality time with my family ! I would so appreciate your prayers, and thank you for this timely message ! :)

Prayed for you for God’s renewed strength as you serve your family! Remember #6, it’s amazing how when we allow God to renew us spiritually, it trickles right down into our mental and physical stamina as well. Lots of blessings, Kelly

What a fantastic blog you have, I only just discovered it recently and I love all your posts so far. Well done! I wonder if you know of some great uplifting Christian music? I love listening to Kari Jobe but that’s all I have in my Christian song list. Wishing you a beautiful prayerful day

• Cameron says

Just a quick suggestion for music…whenever I am weary or feeling overwhelmed (and as a homeschooling mom of 4 with a newborn, this does happen!), I love listening to Come Weary Saints by Sovereign Grace music. It’s encouraging, it’s true, and it reminds me who God is. :)

17. Chaya says

Thank you for these thoughts. I have recently started getting up at 5:30 every morning, and although I’ve been tired, the quiet time with God, exercise time and planning time has helped me be prepared and energized to meet the day with 5 little ones 5 and under.

Thank you Crystal. Courtney from Women Living Well shared your link today and the combination of both your posts is truly what I needed. With a baby with severe allergies and a boisterous toddler and a husband who works big hours i feel like im barely treading water at the moment. Thank you again. x Tegan

19. Lisab30519 says

I am a homeschooling mother of three. They are 1, 3, and 6 years old. I feel so drained right now. Thank you so much for this post.

20. Kym says

Thank you for posting this…I needed this!! I’m a wife and mom of 5 boys. I’m constantly busy and on the go (not to mention constantly cleaning, planning, and organizing to keep the house running smoothly!) And, I didn’t laugh at your #10…I’m guilty of that as well! But, I did giggle at taking a “quiet hour”. Though I need that desperately, that’s the thing I never seem to get. :(

I have 2 boys, so I can only imagine you’d need to redefine “quiet” with 5 as well. LOL! One thing I started early on with mine was momma’s time with God – after breakfast, I would help them get started on something to do, while momma had her time with God. It might have only been 5-10 minutes when they were babies/toddlers, to 15-20 when they were toddlers/preschoolers, but with each age, I stretched the time. I just wanted to share that as an encouragement to you. I remember my Momma reading her bible and having time with God, it’s something I will never forget and strive to emulate now as a Momma too. Love in Christ to you, Kelly

21. hannah says

these are great tips!! I am going to try some of them starting this week! As a mom of three five and under with one more on the way I definitely have my moments of feeling drained :)

22. Kay says

I could use your prayers. I have been dealing with depression for over 3 months and I’m getting out of it now but need reassurance and comfort.

23. Laura says

Thank you so much for this post…it was desperately needed! We have four kids (6, 2, 18 months, and 3 weeks), and life is exhausting! Between my husband working two jobs, homeschooling our oldest, keeping up with two VERY active toddlers, and all of our doctor’s appointments (our son was born with a rare medical condition and requires a lot of care) sometimes it feels like Mom takes a back seat to everything. Thanks for the reminders of how to make it a little easier :).

Laura… our first three were 3 in 3 years and your listing of ages brought back memories…

Father, I pray for Laura and ask you to give her an extra measure of energy and patience in these years with so many little ones. Please heal her body from the recent delivery and let her feel your love and care for her in an extra close way. I also pray for her new little one and for the doctors who are caring for him…please bring women into her life who can come along side and be your love-in-action when she just needs someone to help her catch her breath. I also pray for her marriage and for her husband…that they can both lean in close to you and to each other…

24. Amy says

I could definitely use the prayers! I am feeling drained, no energy, and being crushed by strife with my kids. We homeschool and love each other, but today has been hard. Thanks!

Prayed for you, Amy! I love the verse “His mercies are new every morning…” (Lam 3:22-23) I always quote that to myself on rough days, especially when my kids have been a handful – God’s mercy is new for me, and for them, and I am reminded to give them new mercies myself too. Lots of blessings, Kelly

25. Emily says

Crystal, I love this post! Also just wanted to let you know of a possible typo. You said ‘favorite’ when I think you meant ‘favor.’ love your posts!

26. Kristi says

Wonderful, practical advice! As a mom whose children are older now, I have a couple of ideas (maybe just reminders) for moms of littles who are in such a busy stage. First is to try maintaining some structure in a toddler/preschooler’s day. Having a set amount of time that is age appropriate for coloring, looking at books, playing in their room, etc. can help keep them occupied while mom is feeding the baby, getting a chore done, or just putting her feet up. Also, I know that child training is a whole other area, and it can be easy to let things go especially when you are tired and overwhelmed, but the payoff is huge. Watching a toddler grow to be obedient and be able to help with chores can be very energizing. Hope this is an encouragement!

27. becky says

from moms everywhere – thank you thank you. :) I’m sharing this on FB so all my friends (if they choose) can read

28. Need A Nap2 says

I would also encourage women to discuss with their husbands if they need to talk to a doctor. I put off for several years the possibility that I might have sleep apnea b/c of the testing and costs. But I feel so much better when I use a CPAP machine, not the prettiest thing ever but very helpful. I don’t know how I made it through my last two pregnancies being so tired.

29. Laura says

I love the day of the week tubs idea! that would cut down on the amount of toys to clean and keep them interested in the toys they have if they only see them once or twice a week! Def gonna do that!!

I have done number 10 often around the dinner hour the kids and I will crank up one of our favorite songs and then all sing and dance to it, and I am always amazed how energized I feel after it.

31. 3gees says

Teared up when I say the P.S…..I guess I’m a little more worn down than I thought. Thank you for having a godly heart with a complete stranger.

• thebettermom says

3gees it is so easy to get worn down in all different phases of life. I am taking a minute to pray for you right now!

32. Heather says

Shhhh…don’t tell my neighbors, but this overwhelmed mother still has up her Christmas Decorations (inside)! We have a fake tree, so I have no need to worry about it, but I really over scheduled myself these last 2 weeks, plus with being sick, child sick, etc…taking down all the decor is the last thing on my list. Nor do I have the energy, so this weekend we cleared Saturday off and Christmas will FINALLY be going back to the North Pole for next year!

33. Kristinmi says

Thank you so much for this. These last two daus have been awful for me. I’m exhausted and my two-year-old has a tantrum about every five minutes. My older two are in school, but im planning to homeschool them next year. And I worry about how on earth I’m going to survive with all three at home next year. I think im just PMSing, but still feeling very overwhelmed. :(

Kristin, I am praying!! Toddlers are tough! I’m going through my fifth phase of toddlerhood and each child doesn’t get easier, just different! It’s hard to see in the midst of a valley, but sometimes surviving at 50% is 100% of what you have and that’s OK! Praying for you!

34. Jen says

Thank you for this! Interesting story…I started getting up early b/c of my newborn! He started sleeping “all night” (6-8 hours) sooner than I expected, so when I got that long stretch of sleep after having 3 hours in a row at the most for a few weeks, I felt ready to go when he’d wake at 4 or 5 in the morning. He’d go back to sleep, but I couldn’t…so I started staying up. I got to where I enjoyed it so much that I continue to get up at 4 even if he doesn’t. It’s easier for me than most, though, b/c my hubby gets up at 2:30am to go to work. There are many days that the only things I get done are in that 3 hour morning window before my 2 year old gets up at 7. I still have days I sleep in, though, like if one of the kids had a rough night or I stayed up too late (I go to bed earlier than most also b/c everyone else in my house does too.) Never thought I’d be a morning person!

35. Liz says

I am really glad I read this – and Crystal, thank you so much for the PS. I have 5 littles all 6 and under, am a homeschooling mom and love it, but have been terribly overwhelmed this week with this responsibility as I just found out my Dad has cancer, and have been trying to keep a normal life for the children while pouring my heart out to God every second of the day. I deeply appreciate your prayers, especially for my Dad’s healing. Thank you so much.

Liz, I am one of the contributors here at The Better Mom and wanted to let you know that I’ll be praying for you and for your dad. Blessings to you and feel free to email me any time–even an update in the future on how your dad is doing. christinwrites at gmail dot com
      Blessings to you!

36. Dawn says

I have 4 children: 9, 6, 3 and 1. I have felt very discouraged in Motherhood recently. I really appreciate this article

Father God, your word tells us that the enemy comes to steal, kill, and destroy, but you have come that we should have life to the full (John 10:10). I pray against the enemy’s attack on Dawn’s spirit and role as mother. Bind Him up oh Lord! Please, Oh Lord, meet Dawn in this discouraged place and show her your hand at work in her and through her. Give her the in real life support and encouragement she needs for pressing on in this call — a call that is truly hard and wearisome. God I pray that you would fill Dawn with overflowing joy. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

37. Cynthia says

Would love some prayers as a single, homeschooling mother of 7 needing to start earning some income…thanks.

Heavenly Father, I ask for you to step into Cynthia’s life in a practical way and lead her to the ways she can earn income for her family. Oh Lord, give her wisdom, direction, and discernment. Bring along side her, Lord, all the tangible support she needs. You are faithful God and we trust you for what you will do in Cynthia’s life in the coming months. Thank you, Lord, that you are her Provider and she can cling to you. In Jesus’ Strong Name, Amen.

38. Kates says

This was such a timely post for me, and apparently a lot of moms are feeling drained like me. I want to be the best mom, and wife for that matter, that I can be, but sometimes I feel like I have nothing more to give. Thanks for the encouragement!

39. Karin says

Prayers would be greatly appreciated. I am definitely overwhelmed and frustrated. Energy… there is none left.
    I cried the whole way home from picking up my kids at church tonite. While I know God is bigger than all of my problems concerns and worries. It all seems like too much lately. Prayers for my relationship are especially needed.

• Rebecca says

Karin, I will remember you in my prayers as my days continue. Know that you are loved and blessed by Our Father in Heaven. – Rebecca

40. MamiVigil says

I definitely teared up while reading this, and even more so when I took a few moments to read through some of the comments. It’s amazing how we can feel so alone as mothers, yet be right there in the same boat. Lord only knows how much I needed to read this, especially after today. Many thanks to Crystal Paine for these inspiring tips & suggestions! I have followed your blog for sometime now and never ceased to be amazed by the things you post. I can honestly say that I have never taken the time to comment on anything besides something like Facebook because I’ve never felt a need to. I hope that translates to how deep this has touched my heart. God Bless!

41. mindy@ka says

Tired and worn out too, the last time I have had me time was so long ago, I don`t remember…I am a single mom to a 2 y.o., part time student, and part time phlebotomist. You post was encouraging, inspiring, and best of all has reminded me to turn to God in prayer more, especially when I have been feeling overwhelmed. You are also in my prayers.

42. Laura says

I am pregnant with #3 and have been sick off and on ever since I found out I was pregnant. With two other little ones at home it gets quite discouraging and exhausting! I could definitely use your prayers.

Oh, I’m on it girl. I remember the early days/weeks (months?? Ha!) of my pregnancy with my third. Lord, give Laura supernatural strength and energy. Give her a joy with her two little ones like she’s never had before. Please provide her with a way to rest and recharge regularly, so she can be the best Laura for her family. Thank You for the new sweet life you are growing, and bring him/her safely into this world.

43. Becky says

Thank you, Crystal. I’d love some prayers. In August, my healthy 64 year old dad died of a massive heart attack during his morning walk. My mom & I have been trying to keep their 14 employee business afloat since. We’re doing o.k., but it has been a heavy emotional burden (& so far a financial blessing at the same time). After seeing the inner workings of the business, it’s obvious to me that stress was what took my dad’s life. Please pray for my mom & I that God gives us the strength & peace to see the business through these tough times. Of course, we’re still reeling emotionally too. Thanks.

• Becky says

By the way, I’m home with a sick child today & am indulging in reading your blog, Crystal. Before my dad’s death, I stayed home with my kids & read it daily. Miss that. :(

44. Saryn says

Thank you for the encouragement, I really needed this today. I am a single mom who works fulltime from home to an autistic child. After ensuring I meet all of his needs, all of my responsibilities in my job and as a homemaker, I struggle to find any time for myself.

45. Ruth says

I am a homeschooling mother of 4 children ages 8, 7, 5, and 2. I am also an online full-time college student, and I work 20 hours a week in the evenings. We are serving in our church and I sing in the choir making Sundays very busy with practice in the morning and afternoon. I am having a difficult time juggling everything, I’m always tired, stressed, and emotional, and I just can’t seem to keep my house clean. Do you have any tips for me? I would greatly appreciate anything as well as some prayer. Thank you and God bless.

Want to know my gut-honest advice: You may have too much on your plate. Either something’s gotta go, or you need to hire on help — either in the form of a mother’s helper or a house cleaner, or something. I’d encourage you to sit down with your husband and have a real heart-to-heart talk about how you’re feeling and ask him to give you some advice as to what you should keep and what you should delegate or let go.

Just remember that, while letting go is hard (I know!), it’s not worth it to go through life constantly feeling exhausted and emotionally stressed… that’s not good for your mothering, your marriage, or your own health.

{Hugs!} And I prayed for you today that God would give you wisdom and direction for what He wants you to be investing your life in right now. I also prayed for an extra measure of grace and encouragement for you!

• Ruth says

Crystal,
        Thank you so much. The prayers and encouragement really help. I know I seem to have a lot going on, but we are not willing to put the children in the public school. I will be finished with my schooling in about 6 weeks so that is one less thing in my life. I am working because my husband was unemployed for 7 months last year and we are behind on nearly every bill including mortgage. My husband had a severe head injury 7 years ago and with the ongoing medication and side effects he can’t physically work 2 jobs, so I am having to pick up work in the evenings to catch up on bills. It is only until we catch up and then I will be done, but that rules out hiring any help. We are really trying and I will have a long talk with my husband about cutting something out, or making arrangements to ease my load. Thank you again for your prayers!!

God bless

46. TeamBonk says

What a lovely article! Even as a mama with 10+ years under my belt I need to be reminded of these things some times!
    I will be printing these suggestions and posting them somewhere visible!!
    It’s amazing to me how a great day can just go sour so quickly when we are being too hard on ourselves … I had a complete melt down this afternoon trying to help my special needs daughter with her homework (yes, you read that right … I had the melt down, not her! how embarrassing is that!). I am just thankful I was able to seperate myself and take a moment and salvage the remainder of the day … I pray for grace today and every day!

47. Lynne says

Crystal, I’d be honored if you would pray for me. I’m a stay at home mom of a 19 month old and am due with our second in 12 weeks. Maybe its the pregnancy, or the hormones but I’m just TIRED lately and I’ve noticed that it’s made me less patient with my son. I’m involved in several Bible studies and get to spend time with other wonderful, godly women, but I still feel guilty for having those days where I think “I wish I wasn’t a mom today…life was so easy when single”.

48. LLTwinsMama says

Could not have been better timing! I am an avid follower of your blog Crystal and hopped over here to read this (b/c I was curious of your #10 challenge—and can I just tell you…I do this ALL the time! I have one of those “make a joyful noise” voices and when I’m around kids…I can’t help myself…mostly b/c they don’t care!). Anyway…it has been a trying week at our home with our 2-yr olds and I appreciate the encouragement from this post! Thanks Crystal!

49. MrsAshley says

All these tips are great but I especially love #10. I do enjoy that and I’ll have to make it a point to do it more often! :)

50. adiamond329 says

I’d love some advice – and prayer. I recently returned to working full time after being a stay at home mom for 8 years. I have no idea how to balance working 40+ hrs a week, then coming home and putting on the ‘mom hat’. My Sweetheart now stays home full time with our boys, so that is another struggle – to let go and let him find his niche. Anyway, would love to know how to handle this all.

#7 would have earned a gigantic eye-roll from me 6 months ago because I had built up this elaborate excuse…. “I’m raising two kids with mental illnesses and I need my 2 (or 3 or 4) hours of down time at night. I can’t get up early, too!” But I started getting up 30 min earlier after New Years and it is INCREDIBLE what peace is coming from this! The kids are happier in the morning, I feel like a better mom, …we’re actually making pancakes before school at 6:45 a.m. for crying out loud! It’s like I fell into some other (better) mom’s life, just because of that 30 minutes.

52. Nancy says

Hi, thank you for the article. I’m a stay home mom to a 2 year old. I feel drained and tired all the time both in parenting and in general, overwhelmed by life.dont think I’m doing much of a good job of it either. Could sure use your prayers. Thanks

53. Annalisa says

I’m a first time mom of a wonderful baby boy who is 6 months old now. When I decides to be a stay at home mom I thought it would be great and soon realized being a stay at home wife is a lot different than being a mom. I loved my old job and would get frustrated and jealous that my husband could get out during the day. I got over it once I realized that my little miracle will only be small once and right now he wants my attention and will refuse it in teen years ;P I started waking up early and exercising with eating right and my attitude during the day has greatly improved. I read the bible to him in the morning when he wakes up and it sets a great start for both of us. I do have my moments of being overwhelmed but thankfully my husband is so helping. Thank you for this blog. God bless

This was very helpful and insightful. Just reading the comments makes me feel strengthened and encouraged. I REALLY needed this. It’s so HARD being a mom of little ones (4, 3, & 15 mons) as well as the wife of a minister of music. There are days that I feel overwhelmed and unequipped at this new job. Add on losing my mom, mom.in.law, uncle, aunt, and job last year, and you’ve got me on a constant emotional roller coaster to say the least. Top it all off with my husband telling me to fall back from the Praise and Worship Team and not going back to school to focus exclusively on he and the kids. Its been a struggle, okay??? everything in me is feeling like I’m drowning. I struggle with both finding and maintaining my sense of self in all this so I can be effective as a wife and mother. I know that being a sahm and wife means making the ultimate sacrifice of personal desires and plans but I often ask myself how do I find contentment and avoid feeling like I don’t measure up? How do I maintain my sense of self worth and not feel guilty? Can i live with the dishes and laundry constantly behind? Am I ever going to get over this feeling like I’m failing as a wife and mother? Motherhood and being a wife can be the ultimate death to self right? I know that in order to gain my life I have to lose it first. Yet no one ever tells you about the long process it takes before you die to self and see the glory beyond the pain endured. I see now that having these emotions is perfectly normal but I can’t allow them to bring me into despair, robbing me of both joy and peace. I also see that if I hold on just a little longer, things will get better and I will find me again through this process. Please keep me lifted in prayer. I need ALOT of it these days. I just want to live in the peace and grace of God and be the woman he’s calling me to be. Then I can handle the wife and the mom part.

55. Larissa says

Crystal, great ideas, thanks for sharing. I was going to share how tired I feel right now as a momma and wife. But after reading through the other comments and praying for them the Lord reminded me to take my eyes off myself and change my perspective on my circumstances.

56. Gloria says

I am a Mom to eight children and have really been struggling with strength, energy, and motivation this last month. Thank you for your words of encouragement and practical tips that I KNOW make a difference. Now to find the strength to DO what I know helps :)

57. mommales says

I am a tired Mom of 3 who’s husband often travels for work. He is such a great help when he is home, so I feel his absence. With all these bugs going around, we’ve had a rough winter, but I really havent been practicing the above. So glad I read this post, thank you. God bless those who read this! :)

58. Mai Bateson says

Hi Ruth! This is Mai at the Happy Wives Club and Fawn wanted to make sure you saw the note that our Thursday link up party has now moved to Marriage Mondays – beginning today. We want to get all our favorite married bloggers linking up every Monday so we hope you’ll join us.

59. Elaine Martinez says

Had emergency Appendix surgery the week before last.. Stumbled upon your website.. Praying that God gives me some direction in my life.. I go back to work on Wednesday, but enjoying my time with my children. I’m praying that I find a job to work at night so I can take care of my little one during the day, and to be able to pick up my other son from school each day..

I could really use some prayers for my husband and I. We have 4 littles, the oldest being 7 and all a year and a half apart. I love being able to homeschool and be able to be a stay at home mom, but I just get soo overwhelmed with life and the busyness of kids, and school and church and still make time for my husband! I really need a close friend too! Someone I can swap kids with like you said, or to just be able to talk to about life. I also would appreciate another person praying for an unspoken I have, I really need to hear God’s voice on a matter and I just want to do His will for me this summer. thank you for careing about others and for giving me some tips :-) I really appreciated it!

61. Dr.Zugar says

I am the great ancient physician i bring luck to you all that are having problems like all the above mentioned in your life and business example:financial problems, bad luck(like every thing you put your hands into does not move forward) or each time you go to an interview for a Job you are not given the gob or maybe you have a business and it is not moving forward just as you want it,you are working and working for past many years you have not been promoted it may be in a Government house or a company,or probably you don’t have a job yet and you know you are due for it probably you are frustrated in life due to other certain things happening to you i advice you contact for spiritual counseling to break this spirit of stagnancy that is holding you from moving forward just as your mates are making success because in life no one is made to be poor.
    Get in touch with The great Dr.Zugar the chosen one by the gods of his lucky spells are pure and does not have any side effect visit email:ancientzugarcounselling@live.com.

62. HoldingOn says

I know this is an old post but I am drained, empty and “feel” worthless to my family. I would love some prayer. I think back and forth about whether or not to put my 3 1/2 daughter in state preschool because she would probably enjoy it more than being home with me. I am reading my Bible and praying. And getting some exercise. Just so tired of being tired and letting my kids see how drained I am. I wish they could see that I am overjoyed and filled up by them! Just not “feeling” it lately.
    Holding on through the hard times in California.

63. Laura Burnette says

I am recently divorced mom of two boys (10 & 12). I frequently feel quilty and worry about my.choices. These small bits of wisdom are helpful. Thank you.

64. kathy says

So idiotic, We adopted our child a year ago. It’s not that easy. I have no friends or family here after relocating. I am so burned out…

65. Felicia says

Thank you so much for sharing this! I found your post during some downtime on pinterest.

It’s so easy to feel overwhelmed with mommyhood. Thank you for the reminder to take care of myself. Sometimes I get so lost in my 8 month old’s needs I forget I have my own.

66. Dez says

Thank you very much for this post. I am the mom of a highly energetic 3 yr old boy. The word drain does not do justice to how I feel at the end of the day. I have been slowly trying to heal after suffering from ppd after my sons birth. I am a devout Christian, and the power of prayer has indeed been helpful in my recovery, besides going back to the gym, eating healthy and trying to be positive. I can also say that I am also much of an introvert and making friends is extremely helpful.

67. jdv says

I will take you up on your willingness to pray for me. I am a mom of two young boys and feel like I am not naturally “wired” to be a stay at home mom, which makes it a very hard and lonely.

68. Klaudia says

I would appreciate your prayer. I am a pastor’s wife, a church leader, a homeschool mom if two and feeling like I have noone to talk to because they wouldn’t understand only judge. I am drained and exhausted and these are very gentle words describing how I feel. I struggle especially in a relationship with my 8 yo daughter. I am a total failure in this area trying to like her and failing every day. I think I am a hopeless parent and it would be better if I was gone rather than keep hurting,my children. And the fact that I am posting this comment here is a proof of how lonely I feel, such things are not typical of me.

69. Meika says

I am SO glad to find this.. I’m not a mother yet, but hope to be someday! I’m eager to learn all I can before I have children. I want to raise them in a Godly homr, so I’m sure this will be extra helpful. Thanks so much for the post, with regular ol’ life right now I find myself exhausted, I can see lots of these tips applying to me even as a single woman!

70. Kayla says

Thank you for these reminders.

I’m definitely ruining on E in regards to faith, energy, and mommy badge. In the midst of the work, life, kids, schedule, I long for a deeper meaning of life and the energy to rise to the demands I’m called to do. I’d love prayers and encouragement.

God bless,
    Kayla

71. Sarah says

This is an amazing article. Thank you so much for posting this. I am going to try all of your tips! Hopefully this will make me a more energized mom and I will be able to keep up with my endlessly energetic 5 year old!

72. Jessica says

I could use a prayer. I’m a stay at home with 4 kids…. 2 older kids are in school and the 2 youngest are home with me. Lately I’ve been overwhelmed and kind of depressed. I just can’t seem to get excited about life. Help!!!!!

73. Tamara Awesome miller says

Pray for me, as in my body I am tired and in my mothering I am tired I have 4 kids 3, 5, 8, & 10, but I’m not tired in my spirits just pray that I can overcome the physical tiredness, amen

74. Kaytie says

I appreciate the post and reading this. I am struggling as a single mom of 3 and one on the way. All these suggestions were awsome, but some impossible for my situation. Wish I had all means for these, my family thinks its all my responsibility and no others to take care of my children so bc of them I get no help in any direction I reach. I work, care for my children, and if im lucky get to sleep @ night.