Christmas Gifts-in-a-Jar: Homemade with Love

One of my family’s favorite Christmas traditions is to make Healthy Homemade Gifts in a Jar.
And the wonderful thing is, they’re as much fun to make together, as they are to give to others! Simply layer the ingredients of a favorite recipe in a jar, add a festive ribbon and tag, and there you have it – a thoughtful gift made with love.

This simply scrumptious Cranberry Christmas Bread is one of our favorites! It’s not only a beautiful and tasty gift, but also a great way to introduce your friends and family to the joys of soaking. Although the beauty is, you don’t have to soak this recipe for it to be delicious! I’ve provided instructions for baking it with, and without using the traditional soaking method, so you can decide which instructions you’d prefer to use when assembling the gift jar.

Cranberry Christmas Bread Gift-in-a-Jar

Layer these ingredients in a wide-mouth one-pint mason jar in the following order:
1 cup organic whole spelt flour (or organic whole wheat flour)
1/4 cup sucanat (a healthier substitute for brown sugar)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
1/2 cup rolled oats

After adding the dried cranberries, use your hand to tightly pack down the ingredients to make room for the remaining two layers.

Finishing the gift:
Cut out festive paper in circles the same size as the jar top; place paper on top of the circle seal and then screw the lid over the paper. Add decorative ribbon and a gift tag.

Be sure to include the baking instructions (see below). I like to print the directions out and place them into the Christmas card we give along with the gift. Another option is to fold up the directions and place them right on top of the oats before you seal the jar.

Printable instructions for baking to include with your gift jar:
• Instructions for Non-Soaked Bread Recipe
• Instructions for Traditional Soaked Bread Recipe

Be sure to visit The Nourishing Home for more Healthy Homemade Gifts in a Jar recipes and ideas!

Many blessings to you and to yours as we celebrate the true reason for the season – Our Blessed Savior Jesus Christ! Merry CHRISTmas, Kelly

This post was featured at:

Comments

• Kelly @ The Nourishing Home says

Thanks, Jessica! I’ll be sharing more Gifts-in-a-Jar ideas and recipes during the month of December. Keep an eye out at The Nourishing Home FB page. Blessings to you, Kelly

• Kelly @ The Nourishing Home says

You’re welcome! I love your name – The Encouraging Home! Going to check out your blog! Blessings, Kelly

• Kelly @ The Nourishing says

Great minds think alike! LOL! I’ll have to go find your post! I’m always in search of real food gifts-in-a-jar! Blessings, kel

• Kelly @ The Nourishing says

Great idea, Leslie! Last year, I made little 4 oz. jars of homemade Emeril’s Seasoning. It’s such a great seasoning for meats and seafood. Hope you have a blessed Christmas! :) Kelly

1. Lisa Otis6 says

Just this morning I was thinking about putting together some gifts in jars for family members and friends. My girls and I love to do this together!
    Love the cranberry bread recipe. We just might have to try that one.
    Is it ok to use regular brown sugar?

Merry Christmas!!
    Lisa

• Kelly @ The Nourishing Home says

Yes, you can sub with brown sugar. I use rapadura (sucanat) as it is minimally processed and retains the nutrients in whole sugar cane juice. If you decide to give it a try sometime, it’s available at most whole food/health food stores. I hope you and your family enjoy this delicious bread as much as we do! Merry Christmas to you, Kelly

2. Kelly @ The Nourishing Home says

So nice to meet you Rob! I remember that pumpkin shortage! That was no fun! Hope you enjoy these gift in a jar recipes! Thanks for the link to yours. Blessings to you and your family for a Merry Christmas, Kelly

3. Care says

I think this is a wonderful idea. We have worked up to this season and we have done jams, jelly, lotion bars and organic brown rice in a basket for gifts at Christmas time. It is so satisfying, American made and no preservatives were added. They were all acts of love and kindess has been included in all our projects. Keep up the good work. I know we may be looking at some tough times but I think it will only make us a better nation. God Bless!

• Kelly @ The Nourishing Home says

Thank you so much for your kind note of encouragement! Merry Christmas to you and your family, Kelly

4. Gloverdee9 says

Are you supposed to seal the lid so that it doesn’t pop up and down, like you would if you were canning vegetables or jam?

• Kelly @ The Nourishing Home says

No need to seal it as with canning. But I always do let my gift recipient know that if they don’t plan to make the bread within a week or two, to place in the freezer. You can store in freezer for up to 3 months.