Healthy one-skillet meals make it so much easier to get a home-cooked meal on the table during busy weeknights, which is why they regularly appear in my weekly meal plans. After all, who doesn’t enjoy the ease of tossing a bunch of healthy ingredients into a pan to create a delicious and nutritious meal in just minutes, with minimal cleanup to boot! (Now, that’s what I call a win-win!)
This simple Chicken & Veggie Stir Fry is perfect for showcasing the fresh flavors of seasonal produce, so feel free to substitute with your favorite veggies of choice. In addition, I love using "zoodles" (spiralized zucchini) in place of pasta, however, feel free to substitute with pasta or rice, if you prefer.
The secret to a great stir fry (and really any cooking session) is to remember your Mise en Place … that means having all of the recipe ingredients sliced, diced and ready to go before you begin cooking. This important step makes life in the kitchen not only quicker and easier, but more successful and enjoyable too since you don’t have to stop during the cooking process to do anything other than add the next ingredient.
Since all of the ingredients in this recipe store well in airtight containers in the fridge, you can save a lot of time on busy weeknights by taking a few minutes over the weekend to prep ahead. This makes it super easy to just toss the ready-to-go ingredients into a hot skillet, and have dinner ready in less than 20 minutes!
Simple Chicken & Veggie Stir Fry
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil (plus additional for stir frying)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp fresh grated ginger
⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
Veggie Stir Fry
4 large zucchini (if making zoodles)
5 green onions, sliced (include whites and some green parts)
4 cups fresh broccoli florets
2 large carrots, cut into thin matchsticks
6 oz. snow peas (or snap peas)
1 red pepper, sliced in strips
2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
⅓ cup coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
½ tsp fresh grated ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
Sea salt to taste
1. Cut the chicken into one-inch pieces, trimming away any excess fat. In a medium bowl, whisk together the chicken marinade. Add the chicken and toss well to evenly coat. Set aside.
2. If making zoodles, use a spiralizer (or julienne peeler) to make zucchini noodles; set aside. (For step-by-step instructions on how to make zucchini noodles, be sure to check out How to Spiralize in 3 Easy Steps.)
3. Cut and slice remaining veggies as noted above, making sure to keep the red pepper and mushrooms separate from the other ingredients. Then, heat a wok or large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
4. Once the pan is hot, add 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil. Add the diced green onions and sauté a minute or two until fragrant. Then, add the chicken making sure to evenly distribute throughout pan. Allow chicken to sear for a minute. Then, gently toss to cook all sides, just until chicken is opaque (about 2 minutes).
5. Add the broccoli, carrots and snow peas. Toss well to combine. Sauté about 2-3 minutes. Then, add the coconut aminos (or soy sauce), grated ginger and garlic. Toss well to evenly distribute throughout veggie mixture. Cover pan for about 2-3 minutes until veggies begin to slightly soften.
6. Next, add the red pepper and mushrooms. Toss well to combine ingredients and continue sautéing about 2-3 minutes uncovered.
7. Finally, add the zucchini noodles (if using), and toss well to combine. Cover the pan to allow the zucchini noodles to steam cook until they reach desired consistency. (We prefer ours al dente, so 1-2 minutes is generally all it takes.)
8. Remove cover, toss well to combine ingredients. Season with additional sea salt to taste, if desired. Enjoy!