Some of the sweetest words I hear my kids often say to me are “Mom, will you pray for me?” It might be before a recital they are nervous about or a thunderstorm brewing outside that causes fear in one of them, or just because something is on their heart. One thing they know they can ALWAYS count on, is that mom will pray for them.
The greatest gift we can give to our children is our prayers. I believe the prayers that come from mothers are powerful ones and we should never under estimate them. God knows our hearts and our children better than we do and HE is faithful to answer. We see the power of the prayer of Hannah and many other mothers in the Bible that prayed over, and for, their children. There will be times it doesn't seem like God is listening and it will take perseverance and faithfulness but we must not give up! HE is there and he hears the cries of our hearts!
There is no limit to what you can or should pray about for your children, but here are 5 of my daily prayers for mine. I think they are things you might always want to remember in your prayer time for your children.
1. Their Salvation - First and foremost pray for their salvation. Pray that they will come to know the Lord and serve him all the days of their life. Remember, it is never too late, NEVER! Pray every single day, even if you have adult children, that God will save them! I have seen the persistent prayers of mothers and wives that have prayed more than 20 years before God answered! HE was faithful, they never gave up, and neither should you. Prayer is powerful!
2. Their Commitment - Pray that your children will be committed to the Lord and will stay faithful to HIM. Pray for protection against rebellion, and that if they come to know Jesus at an early age that they will stay the course. The Christian life is not easy, and there will be times they will be tempted to stray-pray that they don't. A word of caution here: Sometimes it happens-even the great pastors we know like Franklin Graham strayed, but God was faithful and used his testimony! It is not your job to save your children, only God can do that, but you can pray. It always brings peace to me to know nothing can stop me from praying.
3. Their Spouse/Future Spouse - I realize God may not call all of our children to marriage, but it is never too early to pray for the spouse God has for them. You don't have to know who they are because God already knows. Pray for their family, their walk with Christ, their protection, and their hearts!
4. Their Calling - If we are not careful we can easily put callings on our children's lives. We may not even realize at times we are doing it. Remember their calling is God's job! We can educate and encourage our children in their gifts and passions but it is God's job to call them to what they are meant to do. Professionally, in ministry, and in relationships. Don't take over this task because if you do, it will fail your children miserably. Pray that God leads them to what HE wants them to do!
5. Their Protection - This covers many areas. Their health and well-being, as well as their protection against the enemy! Pray that evil stays away and that they have strength and wisdom to fight off temptation! Pray that God protects them with his mighty hand!
What would you add? I would love to hear in the comments!
Angela, Together with Family