Its the middle of July and your days are spent poolside or in the front yard with the sprinklers on. You’ve used sidewalk chalk, gone for walks, blown bubbles and crafted. And for my friends across the pond, you’ve eaten your weight in 99 cones while sitting on a rock wall in your favorite seaside village.
Ah, glorious summer.
And yet…somehow what just a few short weeks ago felt like the sweet release of freedom from the tyrannical bonds of the school-day routine now feels like a torrential whirlpool sucking you down into an abyss of lethargy, lack of structure, and paralyzing fatigue.
Just me? Ok.
The newness of summer freedom is gone and I find myself lacking energy to do even some of the most basic tasks; and my family is floundering under my lack of energy and direction for our family’s days. So I started praying about what I needed to do to boost my energy, and renew my sense of purpose for our family, without killing the joyous, laid-back vibe of summer. God quickly brought several things to mind, and I wanted to share them with you!
So, here are Five Mid-Summer Energy Boosters for you other tired mamas out there.
1. Time With God. I’m not just talking about read a couple of verses to check off your to-do list and get it out of the way. I’m talking truly spending time with your Father, just for the sheer pleasure of it. I’ve been reading through the latest Pin God First series from Carey C. Bailey and I love it. The idea of staying away from all social media until I’ve spent quality time with Father helps this uber-extrovert keep her priorities in order. And when my spirit is energized from hanging out with my creator, its amazing how my body and attitude follow suit.
2. Exercise. Do you know when the idea for this post came to me? When I was out for a brisk walk! If, like me, you’re currently in a place where it can be dangerous to do too much outside due to the heat, there are endless indoor options. Swimming, DVDs, a few trips up and down your stairs. I’ve really enjoyed doing the online videos from Bethany at Fit2B. You can even try one of her most popular videos for free!
3. Rest. I’ve found that my family is much happier if I wake up before the kids rather than using them as my human alarm clock. But I can’t get up earlier than they do if I don’t go to bed at a reasonable hour. Getting a good night’s sleep is key to my energy level, overall health, and my attitude.
4. Good Fuel. Summer is a great time to find good, fresh, cooling foods to fuel your body with. We eat a lot of salads loaded with fresh vegetables and some grilled chicken during the summer. Who wants to heat up the house with the oven? I’m not perfect in this area; I love my donuts and sugar-filled-coffee-drinks as much as the next gal. However, I know if I fuel my body with good, fresh, real food I feel light-years better than when I give in to every craving that crosses my tummy. Added in with good food fuel is plenty of water! They say you should take your body weight, divide it in half, and that is the number of ounces of water you should consume in a day!
5. FUN!! I’ll be honest, I struggle in this area. Even with spontaneous play or fun activities with my kiddos, I have an idea in my head of how it should go and its hard for me to loosen the reigns and just let the fun happen. But take the time to enjoy your family while they are home. Take turns picking fun, inexpensive activities to do. Have a water fight in the back yard. Go for a late-night dessert run in your pajamas! And if you’re married, be sure to plan in some fun just you and your sweetie! After all, a rock-solid marriage is the best gift you can give your kids! So, even if its a just a DVD or board game together after the kiddos go to bed, carve out that time together and protect it!
This is exciting!! Bethany at Fit2B has generously offered a discount on a 6 month membership! Just enter the code BETTERMOM13 and you can get a 6 month membership for just $39! I am not an affiliate, and will not benefit financially from this is anyway. I just love her workouts, and know you will, too!
Now it’s your turn! What things boost your energy in the summer?