About ten years ago I sat down and wrote a list of the top twenty-five things I wanted to do or be. I kept this list by my computer and looked at it often. There are always things I’m still working on, yet in all these areas I’ve taken positive steps. I’ve also achieved many of my goals, such as writing parenting books, developing a time of Bible reading, study, and prayer with my husband, and booking a family vacation. (We’ve gone on numerous family vacations in the last ten years!) I have no doubt that having these goals has made all the difference!
“The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision,” said Helen Keller.
I moved forward in these areas because I took time to think about WHO I wanted to be. As you can see, the “being” part took up more slots than the “doing” part.
I am still a work-in-progress. I’m still working on becoming a woman of prayer, keeping an orderly home, exercising and eating healthy (among other things). But I know I’m not on this journey alone. As I seek God, trust Him, thank Him, and follow Him, He leads and guides me. He also shows me His plans for me, which are different than I ever thought.
There are things that have happened in my life—in the last ten years—that I couldn’t imagine. We’ve adopted three more kids, and we moved to Arkansas. I lead a Teen MOPS group in an inner city church, and I host a radio podcast. I also love offering help and hope through blogging. Those are things that weren’t even on my radar! Yet God led me to them, and He’s walking me through them. As the Bible says:
“And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ,” Philippians 1:6.
What about you? If you sat down today to make a list of the top twenty-five things you wanted to do or be, what would you write? (If you’d like to share, I’d love to hear about them!)
But even more important than having a list is taking time to SURRENDER your plans to God’s. He has more in store than you could ever imagine! He doesn’t just show you the way, He IS the way. Turn to Him. Trust Him. Listen to His voice. When you do, I can’t wait to see what His plans are for YOU!
1. Continue to be in tune with Jesus’ voice.
2. Become a dedicated seeker of truth.
3. Become a woman of prayer.
4. Have a healthy spirit, soul, and body.
5. Exercise and eat less.
6. Spend more time studying the Bible.
7. Keep an orderly home.
8. Have our family’s lives be one of peace and not hurry.
9. Have fun times with my family.
10. Support my husband.
11. Develop a time of Bible study and prayer with John.
12. Develop strong relationships with my kids.
13. Develop a deeper love for my extended family.
14. Stay on a budget.
15. Foster a heart of worship and thanksgiving.
16. Be a voice for young moms.
17. Write a book to help moms.
18. Write a book for veterans.
19. Spend more time with friends.
20. Connect with other families.
21. Write novels that will touch hearts.
22. Develop dynamic speaking skills.
23. Continue to grow and learn as a writer.
24. Find an assistant to help with my writing business.
25. Take a vacation!
What’s on your list?
Tricia Goyer, TriciaGoyer.com