A Rowboat in a Field of Grass

We were driving through southern Utah recently, taking grand-babies to see grandparents.

If you’ve never been to Utah, the landscape is amazing. Breathtaking mountains, awe-inspiring canyons, green fields of farmland and quaint towns nestled in foothills.

As we were driving past one such quaint town, we passed a huge field of grass. Huge. Vast, expansive, can’t-see-the-whole-thing-in-one-glance huge. Sitting towards the front edge of this field of grass was a rowboat.

Yes, a rowboat.

Photo by Deibel Photography

Photo by Deibel Photography

A clean, well-maintained row boat. There was a puddle here or there throughout the field but no other body of water that the eye could see. And it made me think…

I have gone through some very difficult times when I’ve felt like a rowboat sitting in the middle of a field of grass. You see, I have a very clear purpose; specific skills, talents and gifts with which I’m equipped. There are a few things at which I excel; things that when I do them, it seems to me and those around me that I was created to do those very things.

Yet at times the circumstances in which my life is unfolding offer no place or opportunity to do these things for which I was created; no avenue or outlet to use the gifts and talents I have been given.

I lack purpose. I lack direction. I feel just about as useful as…a rowboat in a field of grass.

Have you ever been there? Surrounded by circumstances that not only lack opportunities to use your gifts, but seem to hinder the use of them?

Can I just encourage you with one thought?

Someone put that rowboat in that field for a reason. The boat had been maintained and was ready for use. Puddles scattered about the field indicate there must be a propensity for flooding; and when the flood waters rise, someone is going to need that boat.

If you look around and find yourself smack in the middle of a field of grass today, feeling useless and misplaced, can I encourage you not to give up? Keep honing those skills and giftings. Feed those passions that nurture your soul.

Because one day soon, mama, the flood waters are going to rise and the only one that can help will be you. You’ve been placed in your field for a reason, and no one can replace the gifts you bring to the table.

So wait well, friend. Don’t let the grasses around you sting and cut. Instead, wait in hope, knowing you have a purpose, you are valuable to your family (community, work place, church, mom’s group, etc) and be ready for the day when the only one that can fill the void is you.

Jen

Comments

1. keltrinswife says

Waiting is hard (yes, that did come out as a whine) This is a good encouragement. Thanks for sharing and be blessed:)

• Jennifer D. says

Yes, yes it is!! But I’m finding more and more how much He has for me in the waiting and wondering times.

2. Stephanie Kay says

What a great word picture! I birthed 4 babies in 5 years and did a lot of waiting during that time. Then my youngest turned 3 and I felt like I was finally getting back to the real me. We had a wonderful summer last year (no diapers or stroller!) and at the end of the summer we had a wonderful surprise… two pink lines. So this summer I’m back to carrying a diaper bag and pushing a stroller filled with our “surprise,” and once again waiting.

3. Michelle says

Thank you for this. The waiting is hard, but we can use the time to draw closer to God and learn who He is.

4. Donna says

This is totally brilliant and exactly explains where I am! Have been up to my elbows in nappies for almost 15 years and am going out of my head! I don’t begrudge my life but I do feel like the ‘rowboat in the grass’. How perfectly you have just described my life. Thank you for this most blessed encouragement. You have truly lifted my spirits and encouraged my heart. Thank you.

• Jennifer D. says

Oh wow, 15 years!! Fair play! I’m so glad this was an encouragement to you. And know these 15+ years have not been wasted. You have been investing in some very precious commodities! Blessings on you as you continue your journey!

5. heidimhunter says

My husband is/was a pastor & ever since we left Alaska it’s been one thing after another. Leaving Alaska was the right thing due to many things, the biggest being God’s leading but it doesn’t make it any easier sometimes.

6. Esther MacDonald says

GREAT message and reminder to most mums in the preschool years…thanks so much for the encouragement and for not just seeing the image, but extracting its meaning and passing it on.