Comfy Pregnancy Series – The Early Days & Better Mom Mondays Link-up!

If having three kids has taught me anything, its that you can control very little next to nothing when it comes to conception, pregnancy, and labor/delivery!

All three of our kiddos were surprises in some form or fashion, the biggest surprise being our son who came along after we thought it was physically impossible for us to have any more!

Two of our three were born via emergency c-section; one of those two times I ended up back in the hospital with an infection two weeks later.

I have several friends who are just entering this amazing journey of pregnancy/motherhood, some who are going to give birth any day now, and some who just have given birth. When we talk, things always circle around to our pregnancies and babies. How did you sleep towards the end? How did you function through morning sickness? What about those first days at home: what do I do to take care of myself?

Comfy Pregnancy SeriesSo I’d like to welcome you to our four-part series, Comfy Pregnancy: Your Guide to Comfort from The Plus Sign to Baby’s First Days! Here I will share my most favorite tips and tricks that worked wonders for me in all my pregnancies! I’d love for you to share your’s too! We’re all in this together, right?

Today I’ll be talking about The Early Days. When you feel like you’ve been hit by a train while on a boat in the stormy seas.

So without further ado, here are my top tips for comfort in the early days of pregnancy:

1. Eat What You Can, When You Can. We worry a lot about making sure we get the right nutrition during pregnancy. But it can be hard to eat a balanced diet in the early days when nausea and fatigue rule the day. So, don’t worry if you can’t fit it all in. Just eat when you can, and eat what sounds/tastes good. I’ve found eating small snacks throughout the day helps keep the nausea at bay better than eating fewer, larger meals.

2. Starchy Carbs and Strong Mint. During the early days of pregnancy I’m never without a stash of crackers or some other kind of starchy carb. I also keep a stash of strong mints and/or gum. Those two things helped the nausea the most during all three of my pregnancies.

3. Motion Sickness Bands. I’m prone to motion sickness anyway, so I had a set of motion sickness wrist bands already when a friend suggested I try them to help stave off the morning all-day sickness. I was shocked, and delighted, at how well they worked! They work by placing light pressure on specific pressure points. I don’t understand the science behind it, but I know they certainly helped me!

4. Water. Staying hydrated is a must. I keep a sports bottle full of water with me at all times and take small sips throughout the day. Small sips are easier to stomach in the throes of morning sickness than trying to gulp down a whole glass.

5. Rest. This is easier said than done if you’re working full time and/or have other kiddos you’re looking after. But taking any chance you can to lay down and rest your eyes for even a few minutes works wonders! While we’re talking about rest, try to get to bed early and if you find that your prenatal vitamins and/or iron tablets upset your stomach, take them right before bed with a small snack and small glass of OJ.

So there you have it! My top 5 tips for a Comfy Pregnancy in the Early Days! Join us next time as we discuss how to help get some comfy sleep!

What are your favorite tips/tricks for comfort in the early days of pregnancy? Share in the comments below!

Note: I am not a medical professional. These tips/tricks are simply things that worked for me. If you have any worries or concerns, please ask your health care provider.

Jen

**************************************************************************************

So now it is time to LINK-UP and join the party!!!!

*****We pin our favorite link-ups on The Better Mom’s Pinterest Board!!*****

Better Mom Mondays Link-up is every Monday!!! Every week we have hundreds of posts linked up here from so many beautiful women with beautiful things to share!  I encourage you to visit their sites by clicking on the links and reading all of the fantastic ideas and insights! Also don’t forget to join the fun by adding your blog!!   We request that if you join below -please add the Better Mom Mondays Link Up button to your post so your readers can find us here! (Posts can include the topics of mothering, marriage, homemaking, discipleship, recipes, organization and more!) You can find the html code in the sidebar, or “save as” copy, and paste the button below.

Comments

Just a note that for some of us with severe nausea, carbs can actually make things WORSE – because they cause a spike in blood sugar followed by a debilitating crash. I find fat/protein foods much better for controlling nausea – cheese, protein shakes, etc. I did the cracker thing at first until I realized that protein works better and that crackers/carbs were murder after the short-lasting effect wore off and I crashed to an even lower place than before.

That’s a GREAT point! Another of the yet amazing things about pregnancy is how vastly it can vary from woman to woman or from pregnancy to pregnancy in the same woman! Thank you so much for sharing this! Hopefully it will help someone else, too!!

• Chrissy says

Yeah, protein worked better for me, too. Also, a few things I found helpful were: lemonade for heartburn, kiwi for acid reflux, & celery for morning sickness. Sounds weird but they really worked! :)

2. Sarah @ A Quiet Home says

I definitely ate what I felt like. All this pregnancy, fresh fruits – particularly citrus fruit – have been consistently what I’ve wanted. In the early days, following thar craving settled my stomach every time. I ate regularly as well. Oh and slept. Sometimes that made my stomach feel so much better!

Love the series! I’m 35 weeks and looking forward to your tips for late pregnancy/birth/postpartum!

3. Maria Doricheva says

I am so glad you’ve started the comfy pregnancy series. I am expecting my 4th child and do not feel well right now in the early stage. What helps me is to eat less but more often, resting more. I try to be careful with calories, so I eat apples and carrots, whole grain crackers. I am looking forward to your new posts!

To the eating thing…I would add to make sure that you’re eating enough protein. During all three of my pregnancies, if I didn’t eat enough protein during the first trimester, I would be shaky and ready to pass out. Most of the time, I just ate what sounded good just to get something in my stomach, but I also had to pay attention that I was eating things like yogurt, cheese, nuts, etc.

Also, it sounds really unappealing, but some exercise during the day will actually help with the fatigue and give you some energy, especially if you aren’t able to take naps because you’re taking care of other children.

I am 7 months pregnant with my 3rd… I will have 3 3 and under :) Exercising!! I know that all gals can’t do this during their pregnancy depending on personal factors… But I am still running and going to crossfit- It helps my mood, energy level, and ability to still hang with my other two toddlers :)……

6. craftjunkie85 says

I will have to agree with Amanda@ Embracing Grace.. I am pregnant with my
    second child and I will agree that exercising helps so much. I have a 22 month
    old son who is extremely busy!!

Due to a few circumstances I haven’t been able to workout for the past month
    or so and I feel extremely tired. When I first found out I was pregnant (I am 31
    weeks today) I was extremely nauseous. The only thing I wanted was some chicken
    noodle soup and crackers. That is literally all I ate for the first few months.
    I also found that smoothies helped a whole lot. I would buy a bag of frozen
    fruit and just mix one up in the morning. I am back at the point where I am
    feeling nauseous again and I don’t feel like eating anything. I also drink a cup
    of hot tea in the morning, but I use honey to sweeten.

To the sleeping thing, I am so grateful that my son takes a nap anywhere from an hour and half to three hours every day. I feel guilty for laying down and sleeping when he does but I know that I need it. It really helps my mood, too. My husband is a night owl and I have a hard time sleeping when he isn’t there, so that naps really help!

Oh man, walking and exercising is so awesome in pregnancy! And don’t feel guilty about resting! You can’t take care of them (and hubs and the house, etc) if you’re not healthy! :)

7. Kristin says

3rd baby here and am just finishing week 12! Nausea and tiredness are finally starting to subside…I second finding rest any way you can. Even if it means another episode of Diego, Dora or SuperWhy…even just a 10 minute doze while they are enthralled with the TV makes things look a little bit better when you just don’t think you can make it through the day. Put up the gate, you’re right there if they need you, you know they are safe and watching an “educational” show. I have found early pregnancy isn’t the time to feel guilty about a little extra television here and there for this kind of purpose. This is kind of survival time for a lot of us!

I had some issues with carbs during my pregnancies; eating and smelling pasta made me nauseous. I did much better with eating protein, and still do. Yes, we’re definitely all different!